Friday, August 2, 2013

Camping!

My friend Amy has an annual camping trip to somewhere that's almost wilderness camping - very few amenities, no toilets, pee in the woods type of thing. She's wanted me to go for ages but I'm a caravan girl! But this year I decided to go, so my BFF Sam and I went halves on a tent (total bargain at less than £40 each!) and drove last Friday to Shell Island in Wales. It's absolutely beautiful - sand dunes, beach, unspoilt places to camp. We were a mile - one mile - away from the entrance/exit. They don't allocate pitches - you just choose a space. We were cocooned on two sides by woods, which was nice. There were 15 of us in total.

We took it in turns to cook for each other and with two vegans and two vegetarians this was no mean feat, but it did mean I ate some amazing veggie food that I'm going to incorporate into my life!

On Saturday the weather was beautiful so we went to the beach and swam in the sea! I honestly can't remember the last time I swam in the sea in Britain, and it's been a few years since I swam in the sea anywhere else. It wasn't too cold, and it was absolutely lovely to just bob about on the waves.

I also have to say that I felt really confident just striding about in my swimming costume. Even though I didn't know most of the people I was with, I knew Amy and I know her well enough to know that her friends would be good people too. As for everyone else on the beach, well I just didn't give a crap about them!


Here we are on the beach - I'm far left, then Sam, Mike, James, Lizzy, Steve, and Laura. Photo by Amy.


I took this as we were leaving on Monday. 


Although each day was lovely, both days around 6pm it absolutely threw it down meaning that we all had to huddle in the gazebo under tarpaulins! Ah well, it all adds to the fun! 

I'm definitely looking forward to next year and can't wait to go camping again!

No comments:

Post a Comment