Sunday, October 24, 2021

Camping in Essex - Day 1

You might remember that for the past few years my family and I have been camping together one weekend and it's become a really lovely tradition. We all cook for each other and it's such a nice relaxing time. Last year because of Covid we went in a static caravan and a lodge but still managed to have a great time. This year, it's mine and Lee's only camping trip, which is sad. I love our tent so much but camping is so hard on me. We'll see what happens next year. 

Anyway, a couple of years ago we had said we'd like to be near the sea, so I found a site on Mersea Island in Essex. We had it booked for last August bank holiday, but didn't feel it was Covid safe, so rescheduled for this year. My mum and stepdad set off earlier as they wanted to stay longer, that's better for them. Lee booked the Friday off so we set off around 10am when we'd taken the kittens to the cattery. The traffic was mostly fine but then we got off at a services and it took us an hour to get into them, get some food, and get back out again. There was a problem on the northbound motorway which was putting everything back on to the roundabout. It was very stressful but we managed to get to the site at around 3pm which was okay. My aunt, uncle and cousin were already there and they kindly helped us put our tent up which reduced my stress levels a lot. 

My other cousin and his wife weren't arriving until later, but for tea my mum and stepdad made hotdogs with salad - vegan hotdogs for me and Lee obviously. It was lovely! The weather was cold though - I think we've been spoilt because in the past it's always been so warm. We ended up sitting in my aunt and uncle's tent which was warm. 

However, this meant that when it was bedtime I was absolutely freezing. I got into bed in all my layers and laid very still with all the bedding wrapped around me. I fell asleep around 11.30pm. Lee and I have a big deep airbed that has an inbuilt pump and it's been really good when we've used it before. However, about 12.30am I woke up and the airbed had already deflated significantly. I burst into tears because I was so upset and annoyed and tired and cold. Lee looked to see if he could find a puncture but couldn't. My mum was still awake and came to help. In the end I ended up sleeping in the car (not ideal as I couldn't lie down, and I ended up in pain on Saturday) and Lee slept on the floor more or less, with extra blankets from my mum. 

Not ideal, but we got through it! Fortunately Caroline and Neil had a spare airbed for us to borrow the next night. 


Lee and I in front of our tent when it was up 


My new washing up bowl! Isn't it so cute! We had to go to Go Outdoors recently cos one of our tent poles was broken, and while Lee was waiting I bought a few things, including this. It's so useful as it a) has handles and b) folds flat. I love things like this for camping!


Me and our tent, I love it so much 


Peter and Neil played frisbee for a while. The site got a bit busier than this but in general it was a really quiet site, I would recommend it


I also bought these plastic champagne flutes in Go Outdoors for just 99p each. It's nice to drink fizzy wine out of them but know they won't break


Hotdogs! So yummy!


No comments:

Post a Comment