Friday, December 24, 2021

Trip to Morecambe - Day 6

By the time you read this, it will nearly be Christmas! How weird! I hope you have a good Christmas if you're celebrating. I hope Christmas 2021 is better than Christmas 2020, but who knows where we'll be by then. I wish Covid would naff off, but it doesn't seem likely any time soon, especially as the government seem to have entirely washed their hands of it. 

Anyway. The sixth day of our holiday to Morecambe. This was the busiest day! When I was away with Jacqui and friends, she had mentioned she was going to go and see the Illuminations in Blackpool with her sister. Lee and I had talked about going to Blackpool from Morecambe, and I thought I would really like to see the illuminations again; I saw them when I was about twelve years old but that's a very long time ago. I looked it up online and you can get one of two heritage trams up and down the seafront to sea the lights, and a seat was a very resonable £8 each, so I said to Lee we should go. I booked the 8.30pm tram, which was lit up like a train. 

Then Lee said we should go to the water park near the Pleasure Beach. He's been before - for quite a few years he and his brother and their friend went to the Rebellion festival which is held in Blackpool every August, and at one point they went to the water park. So I looked into that and although it's quite expensive - £22 each - we decided it was worth it. As it was term time, the water park had limited opening hours so we had to book to go in between 11am and 2pm. It was on a sessional basis, but three hours seemed like enough time, so it was fine. 

We set off after breakfast and go to Blackpool around 10.30am. We went into the water park just before eleven and got changed. It's a big park - there's one pool on the right that has a wave machine, there's a pool on the left that has a lazy river in it, then there's slides and fountains and a totally wet area which had a huge bucket that filled up and spilt over periodically - we stood under it at one point which was totally loopy but fun. Lee went on a couple of slides but they're not for me. I enjoyed the wave machine and the lazy river though, and reckon I got my money's worth. 

We had some lunch about 1pm, just some chips and a drink, and then got out at 2pm and got showered. We went back to the car and decided to drive up the front. We had booked food for 5pm so we had some time to kill. We ended up driving all the way to Fleetwood. I was surprised how busy Blackpool still was. We parked at Fleetwood and went in an amusement arcade there. Then we went for food at 5pm.

It was a Chinese restaurant and it was already busy even at opening. Lee had something he really liked, so that was good. I had salt and pepper tofu and noodles, which was nice but a little bit dry. But it was fine. It came very quickly so we were done by just before 6. We drove back to the Pleasure Beach car park and went in some more amusement arcades, including one Lee used to go in a lot as a kid. We sat on the prom for a bit as it was really mild, and nice to people watch for a bit.

I had been telling Lee all day that the tram we were on was at 7.30, only then when I looked it was 8.30. Oops. That meant we still had some time to kill but we were both kind of knackered from the water park and didn't want to play in any more arcades. So we sat in the car. Lee went and bought donuts for me and an ice cream for himself and we sat in the car for a bit just chilling. It was nice actually, it was a bit of downtime before the tram!

We boarded the tram and as it's a heritage one it's pretty small and also has really high steps which I did struggled with a bit. We were squashed into one seat but then the tram wasn't full so we moved to two seats opposite each other. You get a good view of the lights and then there's some tableaux at Bispham which are really cool. The tram then travels up to Fleetwood before turning round, meaning you get to see both sides of the lights. I really enjoyed the trip and would do it again in a few years.

By the time we got off the tram it was 9.45pm, so we hopped in the car and drove straight back to the caravan! It was late, so we went straight to bed and read for a bit. We were knackered but it had been worth it! 

I have lots of photos!


The water park from outside - a couple of the slides come outside!


The Pleasure Beach while we were waiting to go in - there was a grand total of ONE person on the roller coaster!


The water park, the pool with the lazy river is to the left of that half pipe ride thing


And this is the pool with the waves



After we got showered and dressed we sat in the cafe and had a hot chocolate each


Driving up the front


This Georgian (or similar) terrace was at Fleetwood, the amusements we went into were just to the right of this


My salt and pepper tofu and noodles


The tower and the wheel!


One of the arcades we went into had this lovely circus tent roof


And this weird sound stage was playing some funky music


Looking up the tramway


And the tower and wheel all lit up


Our tram just arriving at 7.30, the trip before ours


Pleasure Beach all lit up


Waiting in the car


Donuts!


Going past the wheel on the tram


Cute light up ball


Some of the tableaux


Cute lights too


I liked these moon faces


And these animals


And a peacock!


Lee pointed out to me that this was the mouse running up the clock


Dancing lights


Daleks and the TARDIS!


Alice in Wonderland


And again


Coming back, this pink hotel was all lit up


And I manged to get the tower in


Isn't it lovely?

No comments:

Post a Comment