Sunday, January 2, 2022

Visit to Shibden Hall

On the Sunday after Sam and I had been out, we went to Shibden Hall where the first 'modern lesbian' Anne Lister lived. I'm sure you saw the show Gentleman Jack about her life, but if not definitely go watch it as it's really good and Suranne Jones as Anne and Sophie Rundle as her wife Ann are both perfect. And Gemma Jones! I love her! I loved the show so have been wanting to visit the hall.

As we had a ticket for Jac we invited Sam's friend Jodie to come along instead. She agreed, which was great. My friends had told me previously that the walk from the car park at the bottom is quite a long way, so I had asked Lee to come along so that he could drop me off at the hall and then park. As it happens there is a small car park right next to the hall so we managed to park there, but this might be something you need to bear in mind if you find accesibility difficult. 

We picked Jodie up at the station and drove to the hall. I hadn't realised how big the park is, but then the hall is surprisingly small! It's bizarre. We walked round to the front and took photos as we were slightly early for our 12 o'clock ticket admission time. 

There's a one way system round the hall currently which seemed to be working pretty well. First there's a kitchen, which I think featured in the TV show. There's a big hall which Anne raised the ceiling of. There were other downstairs rooms, including a sitting room that I thought was in the TV show too. The upstairs was really tiny so I'm not sure what they used in the TV show there. But it was very cool to see Anne's bedroom. 

Back downstairs there's a shop, so we each bought some souvenirs - Lee got a pin badge and postcard to send to some friends of his, and I got some postcards. There was a film too by Helen Whitbread, who is an expert on Anne's diaries and the codes they were written in. She also happens to be my friend Steph's grandma! So it was cool to see, but I didn't watch all of it

Outside the stable buildings are now a folk museum. There's some of the Lister coaches which were good to see, and then there are things like a blacksmith and an apothecary. I'm really glad we went!

We headed back to Huddersfield because we'd decided we would go to Doner Summer again for lunch. I really wanted Lee to try it - he had a garlic "chicken" burger off the specials menu. I had fried "chicken" and we shared the garlic tater tots. Sam and Jodie had tater tots each, but they didn't finish them and I didn't finish my fried chicken. They nominated me to bring home the leftovers, so I had them for tea on Monday night! Lee really enjoyed his food which is good. 

I was wearing a plain black t-shirt and one of my Scarlett & Jo skirts, and the same Beth Ditto cardigan I had worn the day before. 


The tower at the corner of Shibden Hall was added by Anne Lister


The front of the hall 


It's really beautiful


Looking down towards the lake and parkland


There's a commemorative plaque on the front


I love a good hearth!


A sitting room


This is the main hall, also known as the 'housebody' which is not a word I've heard before


Another sitting room, I liked this one a lot


There was plenty of info about Anne and the other people who lived at Shibden



This is on the wall of Anne's bedroom


And the bedroom itself


Looking down from the gallery into the housebody


Another bedroom


Some of Ann Walker's things


The middle portrait is Anne Lister, the others are her aunt and uncle I believe


More info


Sam jumped up on the mounting block. She likes to be tall


One of the Lister coaches


Really cool to see!



Helena Whitbread talking about Anne


This is in the front hallway


Sam and Jodie in Doner Summer


Lee and me; I really like this photo!


Fried "chicken"


Tater tots, these are SO good


My outfit - I think I will wear this cardigan a lot this winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment