Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Trip to Derbyshire - Day 3

On the Monday of mine and Lucinda's trip away we went to Castleton. We weren't sure exactly what to do but I like Castleton because of the Blue John mining they do there, I went a few years ago with Lee and my mum and stepdad. I decided on the way that I would treat myself to a piece of Blue John jewellery. There's several shops in the village so Lucinda and I looked in each one so I could decide. We also helped some GCSE geography students with their coursework, haha. 

I ended up buying a green amber pendant in one shop and a gorgeous Blue John pendant in another. Sales staff were really useful and helpful, which I appreciate. I also bought a selenite sphere. We had lunch in Castleton which was nice although I didn't get a photo of it, haha. We then drove round trying to find a river where we could maybe put our feet in, but no dice. We drove to Chatsworth but didn't go in, just drove round it. 

On the way back to the cottage we stopped at a small cafe where I had an ice cream. We again did some writing when we got back to the cottage, and some relaxing. I cooked vegan chilli for tea which was nice. Lucinda went for a little walk round Tideswell and found there was a little yarn shop which said it would open by appointment, so she organised with the owner for us to go on the Tuesday morning before we left the area. This turned out to be an excellent thing as the shop was lovely and all her yarn was hand dyed. We both bought some, although I'm not sure what I'm going to make with mine yet! I love little yarn shops like that. 

It was a lovely few days away, and lovely to spend so much time with Lucinda!


Ducks on the stream that runs through Castleton


The statue by the visitors' centre - I'm pretty sure I took this exact photo when I went a few years ago 


How gorgeous is this Blue John bowl? I would like to own this please


A ton of different specimens of Blue John from all the different seams they mine. It's only available in this area of Derbyshire. You can go down several of the mines and I looked into it but they're not accessible for disabled people, which is a real shame. I went down once before when I was about twelve years old, with my dad


Chatsworth house, where Deborah Mitford ended up as the Duchess of Devonshire


Mint ice cream


Chilli! I was really proud of it


The front door of the cottage we stayed in


The selenite sphere I bought - I love this crystal, it's very soothing


The green amber pendant I bought


And finally the Blue John pendant I bought - I love it! The sales assistant pointed this one out and it is a really nice bit

No comments:

Post a Comment