Sunday, February 26, 2023

My Birthday 2023

On the 19th of January I was 39, meaning I have now outlived all the Bronte siblings! Wow. I always like to do something on my birthday so I booked to go to Helmsley which is one of my favourite places ever. I invited my mum and stepdad along on my birthday itself, and then my friend Sarah and her husband Tom and baby Robyn for the weekend itself. My mum and stepdad have both been a bit unwell, so they arranged to meet us in Helmsley at 2pm, which was an early check in to the cottage that the owner kindly agreed to. Lee and I decided to call in Thirsk first which is also a really lovely place just on the way to Helmsley. 

We got there about midday and went into a couple of charity shops. I managed to pick up a nearly new pair of white t-bar shoes from Clarks and some Yankee Candles in the Cancer Research shop which I was thrilled about! We went into the White Rose bookshop and cafe which I also love, and had some lunch there. I had a cheese scone and a piece of chocolate cake. I didn't buy any books even though I was tempted to! We left there around 1.30pm and went to Helmsley, travelling up Sutton Bank as we did so. We were staying in Clothes Prop Cottage which is just off the main square. It had a parking space at the back and we had to unload down an alleyway, but it was fine! We got everything in and then my mum and stepdad arrived not too long afterwards. The cottage wasn't huge but well appointed and nice enough. 

I opened my birthday presents - I got some lovely stuff including a spa voucher from my mum, some jet jewellery from Lee's mam, and a bunch of nice little bits from Lee. Around 6pm we left the cottage and went to The Pickwick Bar which was really old and cosy inside. We had a drink in there before heading over to The Royal Oak for tea. It wasn't very busy in there which did mean that the atmosphere was a bit flat, but the food was nice. I had garlic mushrooms and vegetable lasagne with chips, which were both lovely. We didn't have any pudding because I had bought cupcakes from someone in my village to take with us. They were delicious! 

The selfie was me showing off my new lipstick - my mum bought me one from Lancome, it's lovely! I had asked for a nudeish lipstick and this fitted the bill perfectly. The last two photos were of Helmsley at night, aren't they lovely? It is such a lovely place 


Cheese scone with cheese and chutney 


And a lovely piece of homemade chocolate cake


We were staying just down this little alleyway between two shops


Whitby jet jewellery


Make up face ready to go out 


Gin and lemonade in the pub


Garlic mushrooms which had a ton of sauce which is how I like them


Veggie lasagne


The memorial in the market square as we walked home, this is looking up towards the top of the square where The Black Swan is


And this was some cute little ornaments in a shop window

No comments:

Post a Comment