Friday, August 21, 2026

Family Holiday Day 1

My family books a weekend away every year. We used to go camping but since baby T was born we've gone in static caravans instead. He is three now! So not a baby. But this year we had decided to go to Kent and to take my step cousin K along with us too. 

As Kent is a long way Lee and I decided to stop off for a couple of nights on the way. We booked somewhere near Peterborough which is not the most glamourous place but it turned out to be the nicest Airbnb we've ever been in. It was lush!

In the morning of the 8th of July I had work meetings, so Lee pottered about packing the car and playing with the cats and then we set off just after midday. We stopped at a service station for some lunch and got to the Airbnb at about 3pm I'm guessing. It was in the middle of one of the many heatwaves and it was HOT. The house was in the middle of nowhere. The owners lived there too - there was their paart of the house then a door to the self contained annexe we were in. It had a kitchen living dining room and then upstairs a bedroom and bathroom. It was very cute! Then there was also a flat downstairs which had some people in the first night we were there. 

The owners greeted us and offered us an ice cream each and iced water and there was beer and apple juice in the fridge which was welcome. It was a really well appointed cottage. But the main event was the POOL! Lee and I probably would have used it anyway but the fact that it was thirty plus degrees meant that we really wanted to swim!

We got changed and headed out to the pool. There were sun loungers around it but we were hot and bothered so got straight in. It was lovely! It was heated so not freezing and there were floats so we just floated about for ages. We honestly could have been abroad. 

We got out about 5.30pm I think. I had a shower in the fancy bathroom which was nice. We sat and watched a couple of films and we had sandwiches for tea. About 9pm I think we wandered back out to the pool to dip our feet in and watch the sunset. It was still so warm so it was refreshing to dip our feet.

Just before we went to bed we went outside to look at the stars. The place really was in the middle of nowhere so we could see hundreds of them!


Look how beautiful the pool was. The steps were in this near corner which was great for me. It was SO welcome, I couldn't believe we were in Cambridgeshire either!


Sunbathing but I had forgotten to take anything for my head so had to use my towel 


Obligatory leg picture. There were a few clouds but really not many


Later when we went out to watch the sunset


So beautiful! It would probably be a waste to have an outdoor pool generally in the UK but when there's a heatwave I would love one!


Lee and I


Dipping our feet


When the sun had disappeared over the horizon




And some stars later on before bed

No comments:

Post a Comment