At the end of July Lee had a busy weekend - I think he played a gig one day and went to a festival the other - so I was left alone all weekend. Which was fine! But I decided to make plans and asked my friend Roslyn if she wanted to meet up for lunch. I went to school with Roslyn although she's older than me, but we've known each other for nearly thirty years now! As I didn't have the big car I didn't have the satnav so I suggested going to Wentworth Garden Centre for afternoon tea as I can drive there by myself. Roslyn had never been so that was nice too.
We met about 1pm I think. It was HOT. We walked through the centre into The Bothy. It's pretty new but I went there for lunch on my birthday and I've also had afternoon tea there before, with Philippa. We got seated and ordered our drinks, including tap water. The coffee and tea arrived and the afternoon tea arrived. The water did not. We ended up having to ask FOUR TIMES for water and that was only because the fourth time I actually walked over to the bar until they gave me a glass. I needed to take my meds! The crazy thing was that the receipt we were given had THREE jugs of water itemised on it (free, of course) and not ONE of them had arrived at our table. It was annoying but also just hilarious becaust WHAT HAPPENED to the water???
Ros and I are both vegetarian so we had asked for the vegetarian afternoon tea of course. It was delicious! The sandwiches were egg mayo, cheese, tomato and pesto, and vegetable and hummus I think. Then there was also a vegetable roll type thing - we reckoned it was butternut squash inside it. And a mini piece of quiche! It was good.
The scones were still warm and there was plenty of cream but not much jam - but still good. The cakes were brownie, salted caramel tart, a meringue type thing and a lemon and elderflower drizzle cake thing. Neither of us could eat all the cakes so we ended up bringing boxes home.
We paid and went for a wander round the shops. I got a present for someone and a couple of other bits. There was a fruit and veg van in the car park as there usually is, so I got some strawberries. We snapped this photo of us just before we said goodbye. It was HOT and I was melting by this point. I had been wearing the dress that my mother made for me out of a duvet cover.
I came home and definitely laid down in front of the air conditioner for a while and let myself rest! Fibromyalgia has absolutely kicked my ass this summer as it's been so hot. Usually I like the heat as it makes my joints feel better, but it was just SO hot which affected me more. I'm glad it's cooled down a bit now

No comments:
Post a Comment