Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Books of the Month - July

It was a good month for books, I read ten! Here's a round up.


The Telling by Jo Baker. My friend Laura lent this to me and although I probably wouldn't have ever picked it up myself, I really liked it. There was a dual narrative which I really liked.


Songs About A Girl by Chris Russell. I liked this cute story about a girl who goes to photograph a famous boy band. My in depth review is here
 

Dear Amy by Helen Callaghan. This is one of those Gone Girl type of books, I enjoyed it but it's not the best book in the world. I review it here


Mrs Hemingway by Naomi Wood. This was for my book club, Steph sent me her copy which was lovely of her. I liked it, I felt like the last wife got a rough deal from both Ernest and the book. I liked the stuff set in the 30s and 40s and in France. 


Paper Butterflies by Lisa Heathfield. This was just stunning, such a good example of YA literature. I recommend everyone goes to read this immediately. My review is here


Rough Music by Patrick Gale. I really like Patrick Gale (one of my favourite novels is Notes From An Exhibition) so I saw this for cheap on Kindle. I liked it a lot, it was intriguing and the characters were good. 


Symmetry by Laura Price. Okay, this clearly isn't the cover, that's because this was written by my friend Laura and I was one of the first people to be able to read it! It's a really creepy, sinister story and is set in Yorkshire and the North East. I have such talented friends and it was a pleasure to read.


Our Endless Numbered Days by Claire Fuller. This is an excellent dystopian novel about a girl whose dad takes her to a remote German cabin and tells her the rest of the world has ended. My review is here. Read it. 


A Thousand Salt Kisses by Josie Demuth. The premise of this was better than the actuality of it. Also every single synonym for "said" was used, and it was jarring. 


Word Nerd by Susin Nielsen. This is a very cute Middle Grade novel in the vein of Wonder. I really liked the main characters. My review is here

Wow, I really did have a good book month, I liked a lot of these!

No comments:

Post a Comment