Sunday, August 25, 2019

Films of the Month - July

I watched fourteen films in July, which seems about average for me. Here's what I saw:


Sarah and I went to the cinema to see Yesterday. We had wanted to see Rocketman but it wasn't showing, but we wanted to get together so went to see this instead. It's quite good, quite cute, but I think they could have done more with the premise


Sarah recommended this film to me, about two men who fall in love in a concentration camp. It's quite good. Trigger warning for suicide. 


I love music biopics and I'd had this one, about Hank Williams, recommended to me. It's really good, Tom Hiddleston is excellent


I had been meaning to rewatch Dumplin' and got round to it eventually. I think I got more out of it the second time around.


I was looking for God's Own Country on Netflix but it's not there anymore, but this was recommended instead. It's about two boys who fall in love at an Irish boarding school; one of them is the rugby team's star player. I liked it, it's cute queer cinema.


So then I did manage to watch God's Own Country. Again. It's one of my favourite films!


Netflix were heavily trailing this film, about the Irish famine in the 1840s. I liked it, it's very dark and depressing, but I would recommend it


I have had Alice in Wonderland on my Disney watch list for ages, I have never seen it before. It's so weird! I liked it though


Netflix was trailing this, too. It's about black kids who manage to travel in time. I thought it didn't live up to the promise, which wasn't the fault of the actors at all, it was just quite confusing towards the end


Vue in Leeds were showing Jaws on the big screen so Lee and I met up with Sam and Jodie to watch it. It was great to see in the cinema, I got loads out of it that I've never noticed before. I don't like the jump scares but it is a fantastic film.


Le and I hadn't seen Dogma in absolutely forever. We both love it, we used to watch it quite regularly. I know it has flaws, but I do love it.


I don't know why I was thinking about The Commitments, but it's an excellent film. Lee and I watched it together. I LOVE Maria Doyle Kennedy so it's always a pleasure to see her.


Walk the Line is my favourite music biopic but I hadn't seen it in ages so settled down on a rainy Sunday afternoon to watch it. Joaquin and Reese are both perfect. I cry every time.


And finally, I didn't know they had made a film based on the Ramona books, so I hadn't seen it. Someone mentioned it on Twitter. There's a lot from the books packed in, and Ramona is portrayed beautifully. I really liked it! Plus John Corbett is very easy on the eye (Aidan was always my favourite in Sex and the City...)

No comments:

Post a Comment