Friday, October 23, 2020

Day Out with Jacqui

My lovely friend Jacqui turned forty around the middle of September. She was supposed to be in America and Canada for two weeks, but of course Covid put paid to that. She decided to still have some time off work, which was probably good for her as everyone still needs breaks from work even if you're working from home. She had a lovely day on her birthday and around it, I was impressed with what she did from home! I planned to go to see her on the Monday she was off work. I didn't tell her what we were going to do, just that I would pick her up in York. 

I planned to go somewhere for a picnic, but then I wasn't sure where to go or what food to order. I thought about ordering something to pick up in York but it turned out I just couldn't, so I tried to find somewhere close to me to pick up on my way. We have a little cafe in our village and when I asked, they did a takeaway afternoon tea so I ordered two, one being vegetarian for me. I bought some champagne as a present for Jac, and some extra bits of food as I didn't know exactly what would be in the afternoon tea. I packed it all into our picnic bag and set off to Jacqui's. 

My mum had suggested going to Stamford Bridge to eat near the river there. There's a car park and the river is close by, which was perfect for me, plus it's only about half an hour's drive from Jacqui's house. We got there just after twelve. We were a bit laden down with stuff but we only had to walk to the top of a hill and then to the river. It wasn't the most picturesque place but it was flat, we could see the water, and it was under the shade, which was good cos the day was really hot and we would have got sunburnt in the sun. 

The afternoon teas were fab! Jac had ham and cheese and chicken and bacon sandwiches, a piece of quiche, a sausage roll, and a pork pie, plus coleslaw and chutney. I had cheese and tomato and some kind of pepper salad sandwiches, plus coleslaw and chutney, a piece of quiche, and a cheese and onion pasty. Then we got a bag of crisps each and some water, plus of course cake! There was a scone with jam and cream each, and a piece of really delicious chocolate cheesecake. I paid £7 per box and it was well worth it - I would order this again if I needed something similar! Plus of course it's nice to support a local business. 

We both had way enough to eat and didn't touch the extras I had taken along, which meant I just brought them home for Lee and I to eat. I had a glass of the champagne which was chilled and delicious, Jacqui enjoyed it. We chatted about all kinds of stuff and planned a holiday we might like to go on with our friend Sam.

I haven't seen Jac since early March although we've chatted quite a few times which has been nice, but it was lovely to see her in person. She said she'd had a lovely day which is obviously what I wanted for her! She loved the bracelet I made too, which was good!


The birthday girl in the flower crown and sunglasses I bought her, because you always need those on your birthday!


Vegetarian afternoon tea


And the carnivore one


Jac and champagne


And finally the chocolate cheesecake!

1 comment: