Sunday, October 4, 2020

Weekend in Cirencester

At the end of August we went away with all my family to Cirencester, in the Cotswolds, for a long weekend. In previous years we have gone camping with my family at least one weekend in the summer, but thanks to Covid we decided to hire two cottages instead so we could all go together but separately. When we then tried to look for cottages, they were all booked up or really expensive, so we decided to go on a holiday park in the Cotswolds. We were in a three bedroomed chalet and my aunt and her family were in a three bedroomed static caravan. This then meant we were able to invite my grandma. I felt quite bad for her as she's been alone over the last few months, but she didn't really seem to enjoy herself so I'm not sure if it was worth taking her or not. 

Lee and I decided to set off on the Thursday so booked an extra night and offered to take my grandma with us. So we set off then with her. We arrived around 5pm and looked around the chalet and unpacked and stuff. Then Lee and I went out for tea - I thought my grandma would come but she decided she would stay in the chalet. We struggled to find somewhere as everywhere needed a booking, but rang up a Thai restaurant which had a table, so we went there. It was so good! I had vegetable satay which was great, and then Pad Thai which was nice. When we got back to the chalet my mum and stepdad had arrived, as they'd been able to set off earlier, so that was nice. 

On Friday morning Lee and I made the lasagnes we were going to eat later on. We made a meat one and a vegetarian one which was good. Then my mum and Lee and I went to a fabric shop nearby where I managed to get the material for the attic curtains in our house, which is great! We then drove into Cirencester and went into a couple of shops and had a coffee, which was nice. On the way there we had been past this airfield where there were loads of old planes parked. So then we drove back there with my stepdad so he could take photos. It was pretty weird but cool to see!

When we got back my aunt, uncle, and one of my cousins had arrived. We started getting tea ready and then my other cousin and his wife arrived. The lasagne was so good - I dunno what we did differently but it was really nice. 

On Saturday we headed over to my aunt's caravan to see what it was like. The park was pretty big and they were on the side of a lake which was nice. The caravan was really nicely decorated but kind of small for six or eight people, so we were glad we had our chalet with a bigger living area for everyone to sit in. We left my grandma there for lunch as she was going with my aunt and co to a local arboretum. My cousin Peter came out with Lee and I for a little bit. We drove around, saw some other lakes, got some ice cream, and got back. It was a peaceful day.

My mum made hunter's chicken for tea, which for me was Quorn chicken with fake bacon - and it was delicious! I haven't had that a vegetarian but I'll definitely make it for myself as it was just so nice. My cousin Rob had made a tres leches cake, which I enjoyed tasting but didn't love, so I wouldn't choose it again. We played games after tea.

On Sunday morning Caroline and Neil and Rob went swimming. There were two pools on site and you had to have a pass - which we didn't have, so we hadn't brought our swimming stuff. But Caroline DID have them and weren't using them all, so Lee and I went into the pool area and sat on the side with our feet in the water. It was lovely - it wasn't boiling weather but warm enough for the water to feel refreshing. We were there just under and hour. In the afternoon I showed everyone how to make envelopes. It's something I do a lot for my penpal letters - I use old maps, photos from books, scrapbooking paper, wallpaper. Basically anything that I think will make a nice envelope! I have a bunch of templates and also a punch board that's really easy to use, so pretty much everyone made at leats one envelope! My cousin Peter made a few for his girlfriend, and Beth made a ton - she got really into it. It was a nice, easy craft for everyone to join in with. 

In the evening my aunt and uncle made a deconstructed salad nicoise to eat, with chickpeas instead of tuna for me. It was SO nice! Then for dessert they made sticky toffee pudding which was so good! 

On Monday we just had to pack up and come home. Lee and I got home around lunchtime and were really glad to get home and see the kittens! We had missed them. It was a really lovely weekend, though, and I'm so glad we went. 


Tempura vegetables with satay sauce


Pad Thai


Cooking the lasagnes on Friday morning!


Saturday was a bit rainy and at this point it was absolutely bouncing it down


Looking out from Caroline's caravan's deck


One of the places Lee and Peter and I went


Lee and I :) 


Me and Peter


We were in the hide when I took this, we wished we had some binoculars to look at the birds properly


This was a waterskiing lake


Ice cream with sprinkles!


We stopped here for a bit too, there were people paddle boarding but I liked these swans too


The cygnets were nearly full grown but still grey


I finished my previous book so this was my new one


In the pool on Sunday morning! The lifeguard was happy for us to just sit on the side, which was really good


Caroline and Neil and Rob swimming


Me while in the pool


This lake was just behind the pool


In the afternoon we played boules (well I just watched to be honest)


And again


Ann the envelopes we made! Mine are to the left


Deconstructed salad nicoise! This was so nice, Lee and I will have to do something similar


And the gorgeous sticky toffee pudding


We went outside to take photos of all of us together, and the sky was really gorgeous


The lighting wasn't great for a team photo, but we managed it!


This was the cabin! It was so cute


Rob took these photos - this is his wife Beth


And the other side


And finally last thing at night, the moon was peeking through the clouds and I took this lovely photo

No comments:

Post a Comment