Friday, July 29, 2016

An Evening in Whitby

As I said in my previous post, Lee and I went to Whitby for a couple of nights. Lee had booked us into Discovery accomodation, the company owns quite a few properties in Whitby and we were in Starfish House which is right next to their Reception. He booked it on Booking.com and booked us into a room with a kitchenette, so we decided that we'd get breakfast and lunch in, then eat out.

However, when we arrived, it turned out we'd been upgraded into this extremely spacious apartment which was at the top of three flights of stairs. It would have comfortably slept eight people and is wheelchair accessible via lift from the ground right into the flat! It has wide doors and low beds and tables so should be good for disabled people.

There's three double rooms and a twin room, so Lee and I spent a long time deciding which room to have. One had a normal window with very light curtains which was no good. One had just one Velux window and the other had two, so we chose the one with two so that we could get a breeze going (Lee is always warm at night, especially when the weather is hot). All the windows had pull down blinds which kept out ALL the light!

In the living room were two comfortable sofas and some chairs, which led on to a big dining table and into a well-equipped kitchen. There were five windows in this big room and honestly the whole place was just so light and airy. I'd love to go back and spend longer there!

We each got ready (Lee had a bath in one bathroom while I had a shower in the very fancy shower room!) and then walked down on to the riverside. I had booked a table at Harry's Bar because it looked delicious and I thought it would be busy. It's a really interesting menu - it's sort of like fancy tapas. Lee and I shared five dishes: chips, cod goujons, chicken fajitas, mushroom risotto, and halloumi with Mediterranean vegetables. It didn't look like a lot but we both had enough to eat! I was amused that the fajitas came on this afternoon tea tray!


Cute but kind of weird?

We shared desserts too - an assiette that I didn't take a photo of, and this gorgeous dark chocolate mousse. I also had a Summer Cup cocktail and a glass of Kir Royale (one of my faves!)


Really delicious mousse


It was gin, cider, elderflower, mint and lime, I think!

After we'd eaten we went to play in the amusements for a while and then went up to the top of West Cliff to look at the sea. It was stunning! Such a gorgeous day.


The harbour


Looking up the river


I love this photo, it was just getting dark and was beautiful.


And here's Lee and I!

No comments:

Post a Comment