Monday, July 11, 2016

Books of the Month - June

I didn't read much in June, which was a shame. I got really stuck on the Dream Thieves and it took me over two weeks to read. But anyway, here's what I read.


1) What Was Never Said by Emma Craigie. This is a novel about a Somali girl who escapes from "the cutter", the woman who comes to perform Female Genital Mutilation on girls. It's really quite good and a really important subject. Read my in-depth review here


2) Kill the Boy Band by Goldy Moldavsky. This is a novel about a set of serious fans who manage to get a suite in the same hotel that their favourite band, The Ruperts, are staying in. They then manage to kill one of the Ruperts. It's got some interesting stuff about fandom and how entitled fans think they are, but it didn't set my world on fire. My review is here



3) The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater. I read the first book in the Raven Cycle last year and LOVED it. This is the second, but it draaaaaagged. Nothing happened, there wasn't enough of the fun interaction between the five main characters and although I appreciate it is probably setting up the next book I just fouind it boring. I suffered through it. My review is here


4) Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley. This book is about the civil rights movement. It's set in Virginia and the schools have to be integrated, so ten black students go to a white school for the first time. The heroine, Sarah, is a fantastic character. I did enjoy it and I'd recommend anyone read it. My review is here.

1 comment:

  1. What Was Never Said sounds interesting and I agree, it is an important subject and should be discussed more openly.

    ReplyDelete