Sunday, June 4, 2017

Sheffield Record Fair May 13th

I'm not sure if I mentioned that I bought Lee a record player for his birthday last August. He loves music and I thought he would like making a record collection. I wasn't wrong; he now has a monthly record budget and enjoys rooting through boxes of records. He mentioned that Sheffield record fair was on in May and asked if I wanted to go along.

We set off quite early and went to the Showroom for brunch first. We both had a breakfast patty - vegetarian for Lee, pork sausage for me - and a really nice hot chocolate each. Then we went next door to the Workstation which is where the fair was. There were around fifteen stalls, all with hundreds of records each, so we got stuck in looking for stuff.


Really yummy hot chocolate in the Showroom. I've never been before but I liked the food a lot!

My mum has quite a big vinyl collection. She loved music in the 70s and 80s - she used to obsessively record the Top 40 every Sunday night! She has hundreds of singles especially, she was a singles fan. I've sort of inherited this from her, so I had a good shuffle through a bunch of singles which were six for £5. I pulled out ten, but narrowed them down to six. I also picked up a few singles on some other stalls. Here's what I got:


The Stranglers - Something Better Change
A Discharge single Lee wanted
Toy Dolls - Nellie the Elephant - we had this song at our wedding reception. Twice!
Suzanne Vega - Luka - one of my favourite songs
The Clash - This Is England - another of my favourite songs
The Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God
Billy Idol - Rebel Yell
Patti Smith - Because the Night
Madness - Embarrassment

I also got a present for Sam which isn't pictured. 


I got this Larrikin Love single for £3. I bloody loved Larrikin Love back in the day and this is one of my favourite songs of their. It's a gorgeous gatefold sleeve. 

I got two albums for £5 each - Emmylou Harris, who I'm only just starting to get into, and Kate Bush, who I adore. 




Then Lee picked up The Clash by The Clash, and a GBH album that I don't care about. We listened to The Clash straight away and it was really lovely to hear it on vinyl.


I'm happy to be growing my own little vinyl collection too :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment