Monday, February 26, 2024

New Year's Day 2024

We were obviously still at my aunt's on New Year's Day. Lee had the 2nd of January off so I decided to go to work on Wednesday instead of Tuesday, so we could stay an extra day, and my mum and stepdad did too. (They're retired now so it made no difference to them). That meant we weren't travelling two days in a row and it meant more family time together!

We had a quiet morning and then my cousin Peter and Lee and I put together this chocolate house I had made. I bought chocolate drops from Slatterys when I went there in November and thought this would be a nice family activity, so I didn't make the house parts until the 30th of December. Lee helped me. We tempered the chocolate which was difficult to do and it didn't totally work but it did mostly work, and the chocolate had a lovely glossy shine. We poured the chocolate into the moulds, which my friend from craft club gave me. We left them to set and put them in the car flat to travel down. 

The house pieces came out of the moulds easily enough on Monday morning. I didn't have enough melted chocolate to make the door or the tree or the people that are available in the moulds, so we just had six pieces - four for the house and two for the roof. We tried using hot water and a knife to melt the edges of the pieces, but it wouldn't work well enough. So Peter broke out the blow torch. It took a while and some rescuing with a knife, but it did all stick together in the end! All I wanted was it to be freestanding for a little bit at least and we achieved that! Yes it did have a few gaps but it was so cute. 

Inside we put Minstrels, Maltesers, little Twirl bites and little Wispa bites. We left it to set. We were making curry for the evening and we played cards, which was fun. Lee and my mum and I sometimes play Nomination Whist, but it's better if there's four of you. Peter left and we kept on playing games and stuff, and I was embroidering too. I finished the little gingerbread house piece I had been working on for a few weeks. I got it free with Love Embroidery magazine and I really like it. I ran out of the pale brown though so had to use a different one. 

The curries were amazing! We had about six types. Two were veggie - one Lee made which was vegetable tikka masala, and one which Caroline made which was curried eggs and which was SO good, I'll have to get the recipe off her. I love curried eggs! 

I was wearing my galaxy print dress from Topsy Curvy all day with my rainbow cardigan from Simply Be. A cosy, comfy, and warm outfit! 


Peter breaking out the blow torch


Melting the edge of the chocolate


All four walls standing! Lee and I took a tin to bring it home in, thinking ahead!


Once we started putting stuff inside


The bread stick was load bearing until the roof set properly


Then we needed two...


But finally it was all standing! Yay! Ignore the huge gap in the roof - if I did it again I would try harder to get the chocolate flatter, haha. This is the front


This is the back


Here's my little embroidery piece, I will probably keep it in this frame and just sew the back closed 


Curry and rick and snacks, it was so nice


Here's me last thing in my galaxy dress

No comments:

Post a Comment