Monday, April 24, 2023

Afternoon in York with Jacqui

On the 20th of March I went to York to see my friend Jacqui. We had planned to meet for tea but then we decided to meet a bit earlier. I set off after craft club and parked near the bottom of the Shambles which was fine for me. We met at the bottom of the Shambles - although I did take a picture of Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate on the way there - and then went through Shambles Market to the Portal bookshop. It's an LGBTQ+ bookshop and my mum had mentioned it to me so I wanted to go in. They've got tons of stuff including a lot of sci fi, YA, and fantasy, and a decent amount of crime. I bought two books and a present for Lee which was a pink keyring shaped like a Playstation controller. It's cute!

Then Jac and I joined the queue for the York Ghost Merchant shop. I have two of the ghosts already that I got back in 2021, and I wanted a couple more for myself. I also thought my stepcousin Nirosha would like one for her birthday. So we joined the queue. It was busy for a random Monday afternoon. We queued for around half an hour before we got in. I chose a pale pink and white ghost for Niri and then a mini blue ghost for myself. I paid, and then one of the employees told me to look in some of the cupboards and curios against one wall. I found the white and black ghosts in one cupboard and liked the black ones so much that I had to buy one! Jac bought two too. We weren't in there too long. Then I got some fudge from next door for Nirosha too. 

We walked along then towards the minster. I was considering going in some other shops but didn't. We did walk down Mad Alice lane and through a couple more of the little snickleways that York is full of. We had a cup of coffee and walked a bit further, spotting the back of Pho. I of course love the chain and Jac had never been so we decided to go for tea. We had said we would have an early tea so we headed there. I had summer rolls with peanut sauce and tofu curry, which is what I always get - it's just so delicious that I really like it! 

After tea we walked back to my car together so Jac could get her pottery stuff that I had picked up a few weeks before. I gave her a lift home and actually driving round the inner ring road wasn't too bad. I got to go past York St John where I did my undergrad degree, which I always like to look at. I left Jac's about 6pm and was home 45 minutes later. It was a lovely afternoon and nice to chat to Jac as always!


The entire street is supposedly one of the shortest ever


This is also supposedly one of the oldest buildings in York. It used to be a pub I think but it sells York Gin now. I'll have to go one time!


While queueing on the Shambles for the ghost shop. It used to be the meat market and the buildings really are that close


My blue mini ghost and Nirosha's one in the little photobooth. The whole shop is such a gimmick, but it's also so cute that I can't even be cross about it


Here's the cupboard of black and white ones that look like they're crying. I love them! I chose the little black one just behind the sign at the bottom


Formerly Mad Alice Lane. I'd love to know the story behind this one!


Summer rolls and that peanut sauce which I could literally drink. I wish they sold it


Tofu curry - I love it


Me and Jac - you can see I'm wearing my Lizzo t-shirt


I love the pattern on this wee ghostie


And I LOVE this one, he is so cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment