Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Leeds with Sam and Jac

At the end of May Sam and Jac and I had tickets to see Lady Maisery in Leeds, so we decided to make a bit of a weekend of it so we booked a hotel and arranged to meet for food before the gig. 

I got the train to Leeds and walked round to the Head of Steam to meet Sam, who had already checked into the hotel. We had a glass of red wine and waited for Jacqui. When she arrived she got a drink too and then we went round to the hotel. It's not the fanciest place on earth but it was fine for what we needed. We sat for a tiny bit then walked up to Sushi Waka which is near the theatre and near the Howard Assembly Room which was where the gig was.  We went before last year I think and enjoyed the food, so said we would go again.

I had three different types of sushi - a vegan 'burrito' type cut up, an avocado tempura hand roll, and two nigiri pockets. I also shared some vegetables with Sam. I had a Japanese Kiss cocktail and it was okay but nothing amazing. 

When we had finished it was 7pm so we walked over to the Howard Assembly Room and went in. I've never been before and didn't even know it was there, but it's a lovely building. We bought ice cream and wine which is very civilised, and then sat down and waited for the show to start at 7.45.

I've seen Lady Maisery a few times and saw Rowan by herself in January I think, and I always really enjoy myself because they're all just very talented musicians and it's always nice to listen to. This show was a bit different because there were two men playing with them and they were singing songs all about summer. Some of them were traditional and some were original songs by all five members, and they all sounded really good. There was an interval and then it finished about 9.30! I'm glad we went because it was really nice.

We walked back to the hotel via Tesco where we bought a few snacks and pop. We watched rubbish TV for a bit - a craft channel where they were trying to sell a charm stapler - before going to sleep! I was wearing a new Carl Barat t shirt that had arrived just the day before. I love it! And one of my skirts that used to be a dress. It was a nice outfit!



Japanese Kiss cocktail


Hand roll and nigiri pockets


Vegan burrito


Ice cream and wine in the gig venue


Sam took this of all three of us


And she took this of the venue before many others arrive. We were right in the front row! It was nearly sold out though



Stage all set up before the band came on


Here's four of the five musicians - Rowan, Jimmy, and Hannah, and then I didn't get the other guy's name


Then Hazel on the very right!


But I did manage to get all five of them in!


Some of the songs they sang were Latvian and Romany, which was really cool


I love watching Rowan sing, she's so good at it


And I really love watching her play her fiddle!


Hannah and the other guy - I'm not sure what instrument he was playing though here?


And here's my outfit when we got back to the hotel!

No comments:

Post a Comment