Thursday, February 19, 2015

A to Z of me: A

I've decided to do a new thing every month where I talk about things I like related to each letter of the alphabet. I like the idea that this will take me over two years to complete! I will post on the 19th of each month. If anyone would like to join in, please do!


An author I love:
Margaret Atwood: I first read The Handmaid's Tale when I was around 15. I regularly reread it (when rereading is something I don't do as a rule) and get more out of it each time. I've also read Cat's Eye and Alias Grace. She's amazing.

A band I love:
Ash: I got into Ash when I was around 13 in 1997 and their album 1977 was one of my favourites of the Britpop era. My favourite song is probably Oh Yeah.
Arctic Monkeys: My friend Laura told me in 2005 about this band who were about to be massive. I really loved the demo tracks I downloaded, like A Certain Romance, Fake Tales of San Francisco, and Mardy Bum. I'd never heard anyone sing in an accent like mine! Laura and I saw them in Fibbers in York, which is TINY. I loved them, but I didn't like the second album. Still, I'm glad I saw them when I did
Amy Winehouse: I'm still not over the fact she's dead. I loved her voice and her look and how she just did what she wanted to do. I was in Matlock Bath with Lee's band on the day she died, and was so shocked. I love Back to Black best, and also her cover of Sam Cooke's Cupid
Alice Cooper: I was a huge Alice fan in my teens and saw him aged 16 when I'd just left school.

Something I love:
Adding up - well I'm not sure I love it, but I sure do do enough of it in my bookkeeping jobs!

A film I love:
About Time: this, starring Domhnall Gleeson as a time traveller and Rachel McAdams as his wife, was really underrated, in my opinion. I really enjoyed it. I love Rachel McAdams though. I'd watch her reading out loud the phone book.

Somewhere I have been:
Lake Annecy in France. Lee and I went with my parents in 2004. It's so beautiful, really pretty. We had a great time, including a storm overnight which nearly wrecked the caravan awning, but which I saw from safely inside the caravan...!

Somewhere I would like to go:

Australia to see my friend Mellissa and her family. I've known Melly online since the late 90s and would love to meet her in person. 

Someone I know:

Amy: I met my friend Amy on one of my first days at 6th form college in September 2000 and we've been friends ever since. She's so full of life and funny and creative and passionate. She got me into camping! I adore her. 

What's in your As?

2 comments:

  1. Eleanor was watching About Time yesterday. It's a film we both started watching some time ago but neither of us could get in to it so we turned it off. Eleanor gave it another go and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Ash! I was so obsessed with them, from 1995 to 1997 I saw them about 19 times I reckon?! From tiny pub venues with no-one there, they exploded over the summer of 1995, when Girl From Mars was released, and suddenly every gig was packed. Such good memories of moshing away at Leeds Duchess Of York (RIP) while sweat dripped from the ceiling!

    ReplyDelete