I have been keeping a list of films I've watched for several years now. I write down the title and the date, and note whether I've seen it before. I also make a note if it's something I saw at the cinema, although that doesn't happen often as I don't really like the cinema experience! I went maybe three times last year, so definitely not a regular occurrence.
I thought I'd share what I've watched and some brief reviews. I sometimes have terrible taste in films and don't like much that's too highbrow - but I don't care. Lee and I have very different taste in films so we tend to watch stuff that we've both seen before, too.
1) Despicable Me and 2) Despicable Me 2 - my uncle and cousin were watching these while we were away at New Year, and I enjoyed them even though I wouldn't have chosen to watch them
3) Anastasia - I chose this because I'd read The Romanov Prophecy where Anastasia survived the deaths of her family, so I wanted to see this version. It was quite sweet!
4) Animal Farm - again because I'd read the book. I don't think this is great actually - it misses a lot out of what is only a short book anyway
5) Frozen (2005) - this is a creepy film about a woman's dead sister. I really enjoyed it, but I like Shirley Henderson anyway (she played Moaning Myrtle in the Harry Potter film if you're not familiar with her). It kept me guessing
6) Back to the Future I and 8) Back to the Future II - who doesn't love these films?! I do - I love Michael J Fox SO MUCH. I was so happy when he was in The Good Wife and when they wrote in his disability rather than pretending it wasn't there.
7) Men In Black - again, lots of people love these films. I love the first one especially - it's very clever and the dialogue is slick.
9) The Beach - I first read the book back in high school about fifteen years ago and LOVED it. I recommend it if you've never read it. I have seen the film before but it cuts out a lot of the psychological stuff (which is I guess hard to portray in a film). It is still a pretty good film, and it's VERY pretty, even if I still think Leo was miscast.
10) The Mummy Returns was on over Christmas and I watched it, and liked it, so I decided to watch The Mummy as I've never seen it. I liked it, but I think I preferred the second one.
11) Back to the Future III - well once you've watched the first two you might as well complete the trilogy! It's the weakest of the three in my opinion, but I do like Clara a lot
12) East is East - if you've never seen this I really recommend it. It's set in the 1970s and features a mixed race family trying to fit in. Their dad is Pakistani and their mum is English. It's got a fab soundtrack and a host of great cast. I particularly love Linda Bassett as the mum and Archie Panjabi as the only girl in the family.
13) Kinky Boots - again, one of my favourite British films. It's about a failing shoe company in Northampton who branch out into making boots for drag queens. It's amazing, and Chiwetel Ejiofor and Joel Edgerton are both fantastic
14) GBF - I love teen films (one of my favourites is Mean Girls) but this didn't really cut it. It was very self-aware and clever in parts, so not a total write off, but I didn't love it.
Have you seen any of these? Would you like to disagree with me?