Friday, June 2, 2023

Solo Trip Day 2

On the Friday of my solo trip I had a nice lie in and then a shower, and then I watched a film and eventually I thought about leaving the house. I had found a place in Uppermill called Weaver and Wilde which had some amazing brunch options so I decided to go there and then across to the museum which was literally just across the road. I had the Weaver's veggie breakfast which was SO good, and two coffees which were also brilliant. I was again reading my book, and also the Airbnb owner was in there when I got there having a coffee with her friend! 

I went across to the museum and paid £3 to get in. It isn't huge but it had some nice enough exhibits and I did learn some stuff about the area and I enjoyed the stuff about weaving in the area. After I left the museum I would have walked through the village going in some shops but it was throwing it down so I decided not to. I drove around for a bit looking at the views, and then I ended up at a cafe called the Limekiln, near Uppermill. I had a drink and a piece of cake and read some more of my book. 

I then tried to find a shop as I wanted to buy something for my tea, but I couldn't find one. I even tried a farm shop, but it had nothing vegetarian except cheese, and it didn't have any bread or I would've bought both of those and made myself a sandwich. By this time I was dying for the loo so I headed back to the Airbnb. It was about 4pm so I decided to stay there for a while watching TV, doing some writing and some crafting. I set off back out about 6pm and found a Co-op, where I bought some tea. Once I got back it was pyjama time! I had asked the owner to set the fire going again for me which she did, and I managed to keep it going a lot longer that time, meaning it was around 9.30pm by the time it went out, so the place stayed warm a lot longer. 

On Saturday morning I was a bit worried about getting everything tidy and packed, but I took it slowly, trying to be methodical about it. I actually ended up leaving at 9.30am, earlier than my 10am check out. It was SO foggy on the tops while I was driving, but I took it nice and slow and still ended up getting home at 10.30! Lee couldn't believe how early I was. It meant I got a nice long time to relax on the Saturday.

I did miss Lee! I appreciated being able to do what I wanted, but I did miss him. It was an interesting experiment and I would definitely do it again! 


Coffee in Weaver and Wilde which I thoroughly recommend if you're in the area


What I was reading - it's one of the Marple challenge books that I'm reading this year


My gorgeous brunch - that is vegan black pudding behind the toast!















Interesting stuff in the museum. The banner above is just gorgeous, handmade to celebrate the area of Saddleworth. 


This boat was on the canal next to the museum



Some views on my drive


Cake!


This view was gorgeous too, up at the Ram's Head, which is close to the M62 junction. I could have gone on the motorway but I hate the M62 and preferred the drive across from my house to Denshaw via Thongsbridge


It was very blowy up on the tops! 


This was the annexe I was staying in (on the ground floor, I think it was a bedroom above me but didn't disturb me)


Finally here's the fog on Saturday morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment