Saturday, July 22, 2023

Films of the Month - May

I watched fourteen films in May which was a good amount. I watched three of those while I was away in Northern Ireland with Lee as we just hopped on Netflix and browsed for a bit. I saw some good stuff otherwise too! Here's what I saw: 


Someone recommended Shiva Baby to me ages ago and I finally got round to it. It's about a young bisexual Jewish women who attends a shiva (a mourning event when someone has died) with her parents - it turns out her ex gilfriend is there as well as the man she is currently seeing, and his wife and child. It's funny and chaotic but poignant too. I recommend it!


I was reading again about the murder of black metaller Euronymous by his bandmate Count Grishnach, and read that there was this film about the events, starring Rory Culkin and with a Skarsgard for a bonus! I watched, it's pretty funny in parts as well and just being like 'wtf just happened'


Lee and I watched Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey which is my favourite because I like it when they play games with Death 


Netflix recommend Carrie Pilby to me and I'm glad it did because I really enjoyed it. It's a bit like Booksmart or Ladybird in that coming of age of an awkward young woman kind of way. I liked it, I felt sorry for her


I had been meaning to rewatch Velvet Goldmine for a long time and finally got to it. I love it, it's so ridiculous but it's one of my favourite films about music for sure!


Lee and I watched the Empire Strikes Back which is my favourite of all the Star Wars films, it's a perfect middle-of-the-trilogy, up the ante film 


Netflix recommended this to me too. It's a documentary about five Hungarian Jews in the last year of World War II when the Nazis invaded Hungary and started deporting all the Jews. It's really interesting and incredibly sad obviously, but I'm so glad I watched it. One day there won't be any Holocaust survivors left so stories like theirs are so valuable


Lee and I watched Inglourious Basterds on our first night in Northern Ireland. I have seen it before but I think I got so much more out of it this second time. I like it


We also watched The Hunger Games, Lee suggested it and it is forever since I saw it


We then also watched Boyz n the Hood which I have seen before and do like


The new film about Anna Nicole Smith was being trailed heavily on Netflix so I gave it a go. I did like it, I learnt a lot about her. I think she led such a sad and tragic life


I then also watched Rita Moreno: Just A Girl Who Decided to Go For It, which is brilliant. She's a brilliant actor and there was so much great stuff in it about her life and work. It was emotional watching her talk about her relationship with Marlon Brando, and her work on West Side Story which is a film I love. I would recommend this if you like her!


As I had watched the first To All The Boys I've Loved Before film in April when I was away by myself, I decided to watch the second one. I want to watch the third one and then watch XO Kitty too, which is about Lara Jean's younger sister


Finally it was Peter Cushing's birthday so Lee said we should watch this version of Dracula, which I've never seen. I loved it, what a ridiculous and campy film

No comments:

Post a Comment