Saturday, July 15, 2023

Trip to Edinburgh - Day 2

On the Monday of our trip to Edinburgh we were free all day so we had breakfast and then got a taxi into town. It was easier than trying to park and probably around the same price too. We arrived on Princes Street and looked at the Scott monument and then walked up Princes Street. There were a few bagpipers which were nice to listen to. The sun was shining so I took off my cardigan and decided everyone could just look at my arms! We went into a few shops; I bought some souvenirs and stuff. We went up Frederick Street and then down George Street, then through St Andrew Square which was really beautiful and busy. 

We went into Harvey Nichols for a drink, and then decided to have some lunch there. The kitchen was 'under some pressure' so they brought us olives and nuts for free which was nice! I had a pear cocktail which was delicious. We were able to order food around 2pm so I went for hummus and chips. The hummus was fresh made and really delicious! It was such a nice treat and not something we would normally do. We looked at some expensive things in Harvey Nichols and then in the shops close by to it. Nice to look at!

We went up to the Old Town to Greyfriar's Bobby which I've always wanted to see, and then we walked through to the churchyard where he's buried. We walked along George IV bridge and had a drink in a cafe there. By this time it was past 4pm, still lovely and warm. We walked down the Royal Mile for a bit. My mum and I went into St Giles cathedral briefly, which was nice. We were looking at all the lovely closes and stuff, and it was just a nice atmosphere because there were loads of people about. 

We finally got a taxi back to the flat where I was happy to get into my pyjamas. We ordered Thai food about 8pm; it was nice enough but nothing amazing. But it was a lovely day, I walked a really long way but I was fine and we took it easy! I was surprised by just how many foreign tourists there were in Edinburgh! I'm not sure why I was surprised but I was!


The Scott Monument


Look at this cafe with curtains on the outside!


On Princes Street


Looking up at the castle


This was in the HMV we found


Lee also found Street Fighter II and was excited about it


I think this was Rose Street which has lots of bars and restaurants on it


This was the street parallel to Princes Street


And this was a pretty church I think


These gorgeous flowers were in St Andrew Square




As was this charity sheep!


The monument in the square


This was the pear cocktail I had - I bought some pear liqueur when I got home actually


My mum with her THREE drinks


Me and Lee


My mum and stepdad


Fresh hummus!


This was the fancy new shopping centre all filled with fancy shops


And I liked this old building nearby. So many of the buildings in Edinburgh are just so TALL!


Greyfriar's Bobby - apparently you're not supposed to touch him anymore because it's wearing him away, so we didn't


The pub just behind him


And his story


In the kirkyard


Bobby's grave


Looking along George IV Bridge


We weren't sure why there is a Frankenstein bar but we liked the figure in the doorway


The bridge looks down over this, more tall buildings


Lee's ridiculous milkshake


Lawnmarket


This is St Giles cathedral


And the Royal Mile down the side of it


Inside is beautiful




Especially the ceiling!



This is an old parliament building, I think


One of the many many closes that Edinburgh has


Look how far down they go!


I liked the name of this one




Also look how blue the sky was, it was just gorgeous!


Finally here's the view from the flat - the castle is over there on the right and we could see the Scott Monument too!

No comments:

Post a Comment