Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Trip to Edinburgh - Day 1

At the end of May me and Lee went to Edinburgh with my mum and stepdad. My mum and I had tried to get tickets to see Bruce Springsteen in Birmingham but weren't successful, but then we were offered Edinburgh tickets by my friend's partner, who had decided he didn't want to go! My mum and I jumped at the chance so we decided all four of us would go and make a bit of a trip of it. My mum has a friend who has a flat in Edinburgh and he very nicely said we could stay there for nothing. Accomadation in Edinburgh is expensive so this was really lucky for us! 

I've only been to Edinburgh once, back in 2016, and I went to a writing conference both days so didn't get to see any of the city. So I was excited for that too as well as the gig. The main thing I remember from going before is that it's a REALLY long way! So we decided to set off from my mum's at about 10am on the Sunday; in actuality it was a bit later because there was a delay on the motorway between our house and my mum's. Never mind! We set off anyway. We had lunch at the services somewhere near Durham. Then there's the ridiculous long stretch between Newcastle and Edinburgh where nothing much happens on the A1 and once you reach Scotland it's still a stupidly long way after that. We finally got to the flat at about 5pm. It's really nice inside but up two flights of stairs which were a bit difficult to climb but I managed it!

I had done some research on good vegetarian places to eat in Edinburgh and had found Paradise Palms, where food is done by the Lucky Pig and is all vegetarian and I think most of it could be made vegan too. My mum and stepdad said they would come with us, so we got a taxi there. I hadn't been able to book so our tables weren't perfect, but it was fine. 

I went for Philly cheesesteak fries and cauliflower buffalo wings. My mum had mac and cheese with garlic bread, and my stepdad and Lee both had burgers. My mum and stepdad really enjoyed their vegetarian food even though they generally eat meat. My stepdad was impressed by the texture of the fake meat burger he had. Lee was very excited because he could choose anything on the menu (he doesn't eat red meat) and I obviously was too. The cheesesteak fries were amazing, so so good! The wings were really spicy so I didn't eat all of them but I did enjoy them. I also had a Kingston daiquiri which was heavy on the rum and really delicious. 

When we'd eaten we went into the Brazilian restaurant next door for another drink. I had another rum based drink but I can't remember exactly what it was. Rum and strawberry flavoured though! After that we just went back to the flat as we were all really tired from the travelling! I am glad we both to go out though because the pub was delicious. 


The Angel of the North once we finally got there!


Here we all are in the car. All of us are insured on my mum's car so Lee took a turn at driving. I haven't driven it in forever although I technically can!


The apartment building


My rum daiquiri


My cheesesteak fries and cauliflower wings!


My mum's mac and cheese



And burgers!


This is the pub - it's got a big student vibe and I liked it


I liked this building over the street


And here's my rum cocktail in the next place 


No comments:

Post a Comment