Sunday, August 20, 2023

Holiday in the Lake District - Day 4

On the Sunday of our holiday we went to Cockermouth and Buttermere. 

We drove over Whinlatter Pass to get to Cockermouth and parked and then walked along the main street towards Wordsworth's childhood home. Last time we went to Cockermouth we didn't bother to go inside the house, so I wanted to do that this time. We went in a few shops along the way, but unfortunately quite a lot weren't open as it was Sunday, which did seem a shame because there were plenty of people about. It turned out that it was Cockermouth Live that day, with music on in a few different venues, including Wordsworth's house. That meant entry was free! So that was good. But it did also mena that a couple of the rooms weren't open for visitors as they had a band and audience in them! But never mind, we did manage to see quite a lot of the house and the garden. The garden is stunning, it looks very well cared for. 

We bought sandwiches and a sausage roll for lunch that we ate in the car because it was throwing it down. They were so nice though! Then we drove to Buttermere and had coffee and cake in a nice cafe there. We drove back round past the lake and got back to our cottage at around 4pm. Just over the road from our cottage was the Royal Oak pub so we went in there for a drink. I was reading my book and Lee was playing on his Steamdeck thing. 

We played pool for a bit and then went swimming. During the day I was wearing a new yellow top that I picked up at the clothes swap in June, I had a peach one that was similar so I'm thrilled to get a yellow one. I was wearing it with this cream and peach skirt that I've had forever but don't wear very often. It was from Asos originally. 

After swimming we got showered and then dressed to go out for tea. I had done a lot of research into good vegetarian food and had booked a table at Bar Es which was tapas and tacos and things. The service was a bit odd but the food was nice and so were the cocktails. I was wearing this new dress from Yours - I saw it on my friend Becky and had to have it! It's really nice and very cool for the summer. 

We enjoyed the food but unfortunately in the night I threw up so clearly something had disagreed with me in what I had eaten! That did mean I was really tired the next day but I did at least feel a lot better after I'd thrown up. 



The mugs in the cottage had Wordsworth on them, they were so cute!


Driving over Whinlatter Pass



Cockermouth


I love these old buildings


The river


And I KNOW I took the same picture of this ghost writing on the side of this building last time we were in Cockermouth. I love ghost writing and often look out for it


I like this art of Cockermouth too


Wordsworth's childhood home! He lost both his parents when he was only young and the five siblings were split up


I was having a go with some quill pens in the back room


There were some gorgeous flowers in the garden so I took quite a lot of photos... 






I especially love these ones


And these thistles!




I also really like this rose which really looks like a peony, doesn't it?



There's a big gravel pit full of painted stones so you can make your own poetry. If you don't know 'lethera' is an old dialect word for 'seven' and it was used in counting sheep. I know the Yorkshire ones up to five (yan, tan, tether, mether, pip) and the Cumrian ones are really similar (yan, tan, tethera, methera, pimp) 



We made this haiku: 
"Since you heard water/snow deeply slowly orange/polly-dishwasher". 
I'm sure you'll agree it works fine! 


You were allowed to play the harpsichord in this room so Lee did


I think this bookshelf actually did belong to Wordsworth!


This quote is on the wall in the scullery


And so is this one, although I'm not quite sure why... 



Some of the high hills on the way to Buttermere


We went over a cattle grid and past this sign, which I love


There were lambs on t'road!


See?!


I had coffee cake and this ridiculous hot chocolate. Lee had a piece of caramel shortbread


This is the river going through Buttermere


The high hill above Buttermere


And the lake itself!


If the weather had been better I would have paddled on this little bit of beach, but it was too cold


In the pub! 


Playing pool! Gosh this really was a busy day


Looking down on the pool from the other end of it


My outfit, I really like the top


In the pool! I'm sure there was no one else in it that day


And Lee was there too!


Wearing this gorgeous new polka dot dress, it's so soft and comfortable


The decor in Bar Es


I can't remember what this cocktail was but it was delicious


More decor


Patatas bravas


Onion rings


And mushroom tacos


This was also a nice cocktail


And this was the restaurant from outside

No comments:

Post a Comment