Saturday, August 26, 2023

Holiday in the Lake District - Day 7

We weren't sure what we wanted to do on the last day of our holiday, so we didn't get up early and mooched around for a bit. Then Lee suggested we went to Ambleside, which was about half an hour's drive from where we were in Braithwaite. We got there about midday and went in a few shops before going into a pub for lunch. It was two courses for about £12 so the food wasn't amazing but it did taste nice! I had garlic mushrooms and then... I can't remember! And I don't think I've taken a picture of it either! 

We went in quite a few shops and I bought some fancy cheese. We got back in the car about 2pm and drove up Kirkstone Pass, which I can remember going up before. It's a really high pass with lots of lovely views of the hills. We stopped at the top to take photos and to look down on Windermere. I'm glad we bothered to drive up it even if it did take us a bit out of our way. 

We drove back to Keswick via Ullswater, which was again very beautiful. We parked n Keswick and had ice cream from the sweet shop on the main street. We hadn't had any ice cream all week and it was lovely to sit in the sun and eat some! I had strawberry and vanilla. We drove down to the marinas near Keswick which are on the side of Derwent Water just to have a look, before heading back to the cottage. 

We went swimming for the last time. I do like having a pool on holiday and I'm glad we used ti so much. We stayed in in the evening and packed most of our stuff. We honestly had such a nice week, I just wish the weather had been nicer and I wish I had had chance to go paddling or swimming in one of the lakes. We did a lot and I genuinely needed to rest when we got home! On the Thursday we got home about 12.30 and were really glad to get home to see the kittens! 


The stream in Ambleside


The other way


This building now belongs to the National Trust. It is an art gallery apparently, but it wasn't open when we went


Further up the stream, to where there was a shop selling rocks and gemstones that I spent some money in 


Looking up one of the main streets


And another


This poster shows good pub walking routes through the Lake District and I thought it was very cute


The National Trust building on the way back - I bet it was a toll house at some point


Lee and I 


Driving up Kirkstone Pass


They were resurfacing the road so there were more people on it than there might otherwise be


Looking down on Brothers Water I think


It was so beautiful


Lee took some of these photos



Eating ice cream in Keswick


I love taking pictures of boats at marinas


This was my photo


And this was Lee's!


I was wearing this lovely dress which I bought for my cousin's wedding last summer - it's really nice to wear and I love the colours


Bye bye swimming pool!


And last thing at night, after 10pm, which the hills were still light but we were heading to bed

No comments:

Post a Comment