Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Morning Out in Wakefield

Towards the end of June my mum and stepdad were away and asked Lee and I to pick up their cat Millie and take her home from the cattery so that she would be at home when they got there. If you remember, my mum had to have Millie's brother, Ruben, put to sleep in February. Millie loves being an only cat - she properly shouts about everything now and wants a lot of attention! She screamed all the way home in the car but was happy when she got home. We fed her and then went into Wakefield. 

I needed some jewellery mending by my dad's cousin Mark, but he wasn't in the shop yet so we went to a cafe across the street for some breakfast. Lee had eggs with hollandaise sauce and I had the veggie breakfast. It was really nice! Then we went into the record shop a couple of doors down where I got two Johnny Cash albums and the Johnny Cash tribute album - all in they were £17! I left my jewellery with Mark and we moved the car to the Ridings. We went into Hellraiser which is in there now. When I was a teenager the owner, Beth, owned the record shop that was near the market in Wakefield, and Morgana was the alternative clothing shop up Cheapside where I used to buy a lot of my goth clothes. When the market was all redeveloped when they built Trinity Walk, Beth and Morgana's owner teamed up and went into the Ridings. I am so glad they're both still going! Hellraiser has lots of records that Lee likes so he bought a couple in there.

We walked through a bit more of the Ridings and I bought a piece of raw fluorite from a stall in the middle, and then we went in a tattoo shop that hasn't been in there for very long because I wanted a new piercing! I've been thinking about getting a flat piercing in my right ear for ages and decided to finally do it. The piercer was newly qualified so was being overseen by someone else, but she did a great job and I really love it! 

We then drove down to Chantry Chapel which was having an open day. It isn't often open to the public and although I drive past it every week I've never been inside. It's one of only four remaining mediaeval bridge chapels left in the country. I believe they're all dedicated to the Virgin Mary! It's tiny inside but nice to read about the history and to see it for myself!

After that we just came home, it was hot and we were both melting! But it was nice to hang out with Lee.


There were tons of Pride flags in the cafe which was nice to see


Veggie breakfast


The top piercing is the new one - I had my three lobe ones done in my teens, and my right conch done in 2009 - I had the left one done in 2019 and they hurt so much! This one wasn't too bad


Chantry chapel on the bridge


Inside


One of the side windows


Statue of Mary that apparently used to stand on the outside of the building but it kept falling off... 



Some of the info given. I bought two postcards too




These are the three albums I got! We listened to the first one when we got home


And finally the love piece of fluorite I bought

No comments:

Post a Comment