Sunday, October 8, 2023

Bank Holiday Weekend

I did a number of things over the August bank holiday weekend but not really enough for separate posts, so I thought I would amalgamate them here into one post. It was a busy weekend!

On Friday evening Lee and I went to Leeds for pizza. Back in July we went to Franco Manca for pudding when we were out for the day. The puddings were nice but the service was rubbish, so I left a review on Tripadvisor saying that and got a reply from the restaurant asking me to get in touch with them. I did, and they told me that when Lee and I visited there was a new manager coming in and everything was a bit topsy turvy, and they would like to invite us back for a free pizza and a drink each. So we went! We got nicely welcomed and it was obvious staff knew why we were there, but everything was really lovely and I can't complain. We shared a starter of potatoes and tomatoes and cheese, and then had a pizza each. Lee just had cheese and tomato, but I had mushrooms as well. It was so nice and I'm glad we went back!

We considered having pudding there but decided to walk into Trinity Kitchen instead. I knew there was a diner type thing in there which did puddings so that's where we ended up. It's called Archie's and it does diner food, including waffles and milkshakes. We shared one of each. The waffle was possibly one of the best waffles I've ever eaten! It had chocolate and white chocolate sauces on it and maltesers, and it came with ice cream. The milkshake was mint Aero and was nice too. It was a fun date night!

On Saturday I went to Huddersfield to see my friend Amy. I haven't seen her since February so it was well overdue. I set off early because I needed to pick up a library book in Penistone, but I still wildly overestimated the time I would need so I pulled into the car park at just past 11.30... Then I had had a text from Amy saying she was running a bit late. This was fine though because I had taken my book with me so I went into Northern Tea House on King Street and had a lovely chai latte while I was waiting. 

I went over to Bambukat at about 12.30 and Amy arrived soon after. I went there with our mutual friends Gillian and Michelle before Christmas last year so I knew they had plenty of vegan options for Amy and veggie options for me. I had chaat to start with, which wasn't like chaat I'd had before but it was nice. Then I had vegetable biryani which was in a huge dish and was just delicious. I would have that again!

We sat chatting for a while and then we went back into Northern Tea House for a drink and a piece of cake. They have plenty of vegan options and their brunch looked amazing, so I'll have to go back there another time and have food. We left together about 3.45. When I got home Lee had gone because he was playing a gig in Liverpool, so I had the house to myself and relaxed all evening. Lee didn't get back until 1.30am so we slept in late on the Sunday. 

We then made chocolate twists, which I had bought the stuff for the day before. They were really easy and we'll definitely do it again! We got ready and went to my mum's house for the afternon/evening. I took ingredients to make negroni sbagliato for my mum, stepdad, and me. My mum wasn't keen on it so she only had one, but my stepdad and I had a couple each and some wine. We played Trivial Pursuit in the afternoon (my mum and stepad won) and had tea about 7pm. My mum had made vegetarian and beef chilli for us, and then apple crumble with her homegrown apples for afterwards. They were both so good! 

We played a game called Name 5 after tea and Lee and I finally left at about 11.15pm. It was a really nice day - it felt like Christmas! I was wearing this pinafore dress that I got from the last clothes swap in Leeds, but it's originally from Shein. I don't buy from them so I'm glad I can recycle something from there. I was wearing it with a plain black t shirt and black footless tights.



The starter Lee and I shared


My mushroom pizza


In Trinity Kitchen


The immense waffle we shared


Lee took this of us while we were waiting for the waffle


In Northern Tea House on Saturday morning


Looking down King Street outside Bambukat - I took this to give Amy directions but it is a really nice photo of that part of Huddersfield!


Me and Amy! It was SO nice to see one of my oldest friends!


My biryani


The chocolate twists we made on Sunday morning, before they went in the oven


And afterwards!


Shein pinafore 


Negroni sbagliato!


Playinh Trivial Pursuit - the board is from the original mid 80s edition but we were using different questions


And finally, amazing apple crumble for pudding

No comments:

Post a Comment