Sunday, March 17, 2024

Films of the Month - January

I watched fifteen films in January which was a fabulous amount and a really good start to the year. Of those fifteen, I hadn't seen twelve of those before which is also a high number. Also, to keep giving you statistics out of the stats I keep, I watched all fifteen of those films by myself, I didn't watch any with anyone else. 

Here's what I saw:


I've seen Everybody's Talking About Jamie before, and have seen the stage show, so it was a bit of a comfort film. I don't like the film as much as the stage show, but it is still quite fun


I've been meaning to watch House of Gucci for ages and finally got round to it. I really liked it - Lady Gaga is brilliant and I liked Adam Driver too. I could have lived without Jared Leto but that's a recurring theme in my life, so there we go


I saw Wonka too because I'd been interested by all the hype surrounding it. I liked it, but not loads. Timothee was good though! I probably won't watch it again but I'm glad I've seen it


So the next day after Wonka I watched Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I have seen it before, but not in like thirty years or something. I liked it, it is fun


I've never seen A Clockwork Orange, or read the book, so I thought it was time to amend that. I liked the film and am glad I've seen it, even though it is so violent. I probably won't bother reading the book now though


My friend Sam had told me all about this film and I was intrigued so watched it. It's weird when something is now historical but set in a time that you remember very clearly. It's set in 2006 and I left uni in 2005 so I could imagine that bit all too well. I did like it - it's dark and funny and a bit crackers. I'll probably watch it again


Next I watched Promising Young Woman which was made by the same woman as Saltburn (who also played the young Camilla in The Crown). I liked it - I don't generally like Carey Mulligan but I enjoyed her in both these films. I would definitely recommend this


Someone on Twitter had recommend this film, Nothing Lasts Forever, about the diamond industry and lab grown diamonds. It was really interesting and I would recommend it. I like diamonds but most of the diamonds I have are second hand, which is good/better. I also really don't have a problem with lab grown diamonds. Lee bought me a Pandora ring for my birthday actually which is a lab grown diamond!


I have a goal this year to watch ten films with Margot Robbie in as I really like her and thought it would be nice to catch up with her filmography a bit more. I'm not a huge fan of comic stuff but I like Harley Quinn and I really liked this film. I don't care about the Joker and I STILL don't care about Jared Leto, but I did like this a lot. I'll watch the sequels too


I can't remember if I've seen the older film of The Witches and if I had, it was absolutely years and years ago. I really enjoyed this remake with Octavia Spencer and Anne Hathaway and Chris Rock. I would recommend it


I was looking for something to watch on iPlayer and realised there are three early St Trinian's films on there. I really like the more modern ones but they have Russell Brand in so I shan't be bothering with them anymore. So I thought I would give these a go. I really liked this one, which has George Cole and Sid James in! I mentioned it to my stepdad too because he likes the old St Trinian's films too, and the next day he made my mother watch this over lunch, haha


Netflix thought I might want to watch Belfast, which is based on Kenneth Brannagh's early life, so I did. I've seen it before - in fact I saw it in the cinema with Sam and Jodie - and I still really like it and would recommend it


I watched another in the St Trinian's series and found it funny too. I'm sure I'll watch the other before too long, too. They're ridiculous and camp and sometimes that's the exact type of film I want to see


I have seen SO many clips of Paul Mescal and Andrew Scott doing promo for this film so I wanted to see it. I did like it but I don't think I'll watch it again. They are both great in it, though. I like Andrew Scott a lot and have for ages


Lastly I watched this documentary about the massacre of the Miami Showband in Northern Ireland in 1974, supposedly by paramilitaries. I've seen it before and it's really interesting if you are interesting in the history of The Troubles and in the British government's role in the violence. It's very sad but interesting

No comments:

Post a Comment