Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Trip to the Theatre

On the 26th of January I went to Doncaster to see a play with my mum, stepcousin, and my mum's friend Julie. My stepcousin's mum was supposed to be coming, but she was in Sri Lanka with family, so couldn't. So Julie came instead! We went to the Cast theatre, which is a really lovely modern building. We ordered drinks to half at the interval and made our way upstairs to the circle. The seats are really roomy which is nice to know!

The play we were going to see was by John Godber. I have seen quite a few of his things over the years and he's always funny and satirical. When I saw this advertised I suggested we go. I think Godber was quite an influence on my own writing, honestly! He's always excellent, and so northern. This play was set in 2023 and about three young people who don't have a lot going on in life. They have graduated from uni in Hull but aren't doing anything with their degrees. They get jobs in a fried chicken restaurant (cue lots of repetition of 'Do you want fries with that?') and one of them is looking after her elderly grandma, who was really into Northern Soul back in the day. 

Little by little, the three get into Northern Soul too, picking up the dancing and attending the club nights. They meet some fun characters along the way and have a lot of fun even in 2023 Britain. I liked it a lot, I'm glad we bothered to go! 


The flyer I picked up in the foyer


And the stage before it started. There were only three people in the whole play (often the case with John Godber) and the staging was very spartan too. The costumes were great! 


No comments:

Post a Comment