Saturday, April 6, 2024

Two Gigs in Leeds

So now to Thursday of my week off! And to the reason why Lucinda was coming down in the first place, before I got a table at Edinburgh Zine Fest - The Libertines! They were playing a series of gigs in tiny venues including The Wardrobe in Leeds, a place I've been a few times and really like as a venue. She was in charge of getting tickets months ago and she had a bit of a nightmare doing so but then we had two tickets confirmed! So when I then got offered a table at the Zine Fest I asked to stay with Cinders and we had it all planned! 

Then just a week or two before the gig, the Libertines announced they were playing an afternoon acoustic show at The Wardrobe. Of course we wanted to go! So I got three tickets and my mum came along, and Sam got herself a ticket too, and I knew other people who would be there too. Lucinda and I were very excited! There are few bands I would see twice in one day but the Libs are at the top of that list!

We set off around 11.45 and headed to Lupe's Cantina which is in the total opposite direction than the Wardrobe but we wanted Mexican food. We had talked about getting it in Edinburgh but then it was Pancake Day so we had pancakes instead. I've heard good things about Lupe's so we parked close by and went in. We shared guacamole and salsa and chips to start with, and then Lucinda had fish tacos and I had quesedillas. They were perfectly nice quesedillas but a bit boring. Oh well! It was cheap which was good.

We drove round to Victoria car park and walked across to The Wardrobe. Peter and his dog were wandering about outside and inside the bar, cute! We met up with Sam and my mum and Rachael and then Rachael went to join the queue. I didn't have a space in the disabled area but I did manage to get in the queue to be let down early so I could get a seat at the other side, so that was really useful! So then Peter and his dog (Gladys) were wandering around downstairs so we went to talk to him! It was really lovely! I've been a fan for nearly two decades and have met the rest of the band but hadn't ever met Peter so it was nice. I told him it was a pleasure and he tipped his hat at me. He also liked my Care Bears t shirt. He had to go quite quickly but it was nice to speak to him.

The afternoon show was pretty sedate as Libertines gigs go but still a bit loopy. My mum and Sam enjoyed themselves and so did I. And Lucinda of course! They played a few songs and finished about 5pm. Lucinda and I sat in the bar and had a couple of drinks and shared some loaded fries, before going back downstairs at 7.30ish. The support bands were nothing to write home about but passed quickly enough, and then the Libertines were great! I really enjoyed myself. Lucinda stood quite close to the front and I joined her towards the end. It was such an intimate show in such a small venue; I loved it.

Afterwards we caught up with some friends before Lucinda drove us home as I was in a lot of pain. As you can see by my final selfie, my hair was all over the place because it was so humid in the Wardrobe. 


Chips and salsa and guacamole! All delicious!


The beautiful Cinders and I


Quesedillas


Fish tacos - these looked amazing!


Sign on the door at the Wardrobe before we went downstairs


Here's me and Peter - he was happier to talk to us than this photo might suggest, I promise


Sam took this of all four of us before the gig started


Not all these photos are mine, but this was definitely the afternoon because Carl is wearing this baker boy cap. Some of the photos are Sam's


Peter on the left there


Carl and John


All of them posing for Gary's camera. Even though it was an 'acoustic' set it was all four of them and still pretty loud


Peter again


And John


And Carl!


This was the evening because Carl is wearing the bowler hat


Here he is singing, just the mic


And later when Carl shed at least some layers... he always wears a lot of layers


From Lucinda's vantage point right at the left of the stage


I was standing here by the end, it was plenty close enough!


Adorable boys taking a bow at the end. The steam was literally rising off Gary


And here I am back at home with incredibly fluffy hair

No comments:

Post a Comment