Monday, May 15, 2023

Afternoon Tea with Katie and Kate

On the 6th of April I headed to Darlington to meet my friend Kate alongside our friend Katie. We had put this date in the diary way back in October after the last time we met up, which was in York. We weren't sure what we were going to do, but decided to go to Darlington for afternoon tea. I asked Katie to drive me and her from Wakefield as I was having a lot of pain and wasn't sure I could cope with driving all that way. She agreed - she's never driven me anywhere before so it was fun! She didn't learn until maybe eleven years ago or something like that, unlike me who passed my test twenty one years ago now! 

We arrived at Rockcliffe Hall at just before 1pm and met Kate and went inside. It's absolutely stunning inside. The afternoon tea is in the Orangery which was warm and lovely. The tea and coffee is unlimited so I went for a decaf cafetiere to start off with. 

We had ordered me a vegetarian afternoon tea, so my sandwiches were cucumber and cream cheese, smoked beetroot, cheese and chutney, and avocado. I also had roasted asparagus and red pesto tapenade. It was all really nice, I liked them a lot. 

The cakes were splendid - first of all there was a fruit scone and a plain scone. Then there was a rice pudding for me, but I didn't like it very much. Then a chocolate and rose sandwich which was nice. On top was a hazelnut praline Paris-Brest and a rhubarb and ginger fancy patisserie thing. We had another drink each and sat until just after 3.30 just chatting and catching up. 

I do love these girls! We have been friends since we were at uni at York St John from 2002 until 2005. We lived with each other! They were my bridesmaids! We've organised to get together in July too. 

I was wearing new tights from Snag. I had a gift voucher so I bought two pairs of the duo tights and a pair with shooting stars on. These duo ones are raspberry on one leg and bright blue on the other. They're so fun to wear and so eye catching. I paired them with my Simply Be dress with blue hearts. I haven't worn it in ages but I do love this dress a lot. 

We got back to Katie's about 5pm and we had a gin each and chatted for a bit longer before Lee arrived to pick me up. It was a lovely day! 


Duo tights before I set off in the morning, just as I was about to pull my boots on


I had done my nails - the bright pink is Essie Madison Ave-hue and the sparkle is OPI Gettin Miss Piggy With It. I thought the two looked cute together!


Coffee in a lovely silver pot


My sandwiches


The meat sandwiches


Look how lovely the cakes were


Katie and Kate got a passionfruit macaron instead of the rice pudding thing


Here's me and Kate


And Katie


Her lovely gin glasses when we got back to hers


My Simply Be dress


And finally the opals I was wearing. These belonged to my grandma - she said that the opal in the ring was brought from Australia for her, but I'm not sure when this was or by whom, if that's right. I inherited the lot after her recent death but I hadn't worn them until this day. They are beautiful though, aren't they? I won't wear them daily but I will on special occasions

No comments:

Post a Comment