Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Holiday in Wales - Day 7

On the final day of our holiday we weren't really sure what to do. We had already decided to go out to eat as it was our last night, so we didn't want to do too much during the day. Plus we wanted to get in a last swim! So we decided to drive to Denbigh.

My overarching recommendation for Denbigh is: don't. There's not a lot there at all and it's very rundown and just not in good nick. We went in a few charity shops and a nice crystal shop where I bought one crystal - a nice piece of rainbow jasper - but otherwise we just didn't like it that much. There also wasn't anywhere to have lunch; there were a lot of closed down cafes. We decided to drive up to the castle, hoping there would be a cafe there, but there didn't seem to be. We didn't go in, but it is very pretty to look it. 

So we drove to St Asaph. We went there before in 2016 with my cousin Peter and I remembered the cathedral was really beautiful so I thought we would have a look round. We parked and saw a lovely cafe, which turned out to have shut just a few minutes before. By this point we were hungry and annoyed so we went into the fish and chip shop next door and shared some chips. It wasn't amazing but it was fine, so that was okay.

We went into the cathedral and it turned out there was a tea shop in there where we could have had lunch, but never mind! We went round the cathedral and then had a hot drink and a cake each in the cafe. The cathedral has a history of where the Bible was first translated into Welsh, so that's pretty cool to see and wasn't something I remembered from when we went before. 

We headed back to the caravan site to go swimming. I had been wearing a Joe Browns dress in orange which I absolutely love, with an old New Look top over the top. It was a nice outfit for a colder summer day and I'll definitely wear the two together again. We went swimming - again by ourselves in the pool - and got out at about 5pm.

We got showered in the caravan - which got worse and worse water pressure throughout the week, which wasn't great - and got ready to go out. We had considered going to a pub, but I really fancied Indian food so we had consulted Trip Advisor and found a curry house in Wrexham. It was called Ijazz and we decided to just turn up, knowing there were other places in Wrexham if we couldn't get in. 

It was about twenty minutes away and it wasn't at all busy so had tables for us. I was happy there were quite a few vegetarian choices and Lee is always happy to have curry! I had pani puri for starter which were a bit different and really delicious. Lee had chicken chaat. Then he had karahi chicken I think and I had paneer delight. I fancied something creamy and coconutty, which this definitely was! It was really delicious. We didn't have dessert because we had stuff back in the caravan. I was given a shot of coconut liqueur to end with though which was really nice. 

We got back to the caravan and had to pack! I was wearing a peach dress from Simply Be to go out in, though, a dress that I really love and ought to wear more. I love the colour of it. 

On Friday morning we packed up quickly and checked out about 9.45 As I said, the site wasn't very busy and didn't have many amenities, but that did mean we had a quiet and relaxing time. We would have made it home in just a couple of hours, but we decided to stop at the big Tesco in Hattersley for breakfast on the way back. We both had veggie breakfasts and it was delicious! We got a few things for the weekend and I picked up a couple of books for £9 too! 

It was a really nice holiday and I'm glad we went!


Parts of the ramparts in Denbigh are like built into the houses and streets


The castle itself


And another bit


Looking down over the town


Chips!


St Asaph cathedral


I took a photo of this fabulous door when I went before, too


One of the first Welsh bibles and the history of it


Bakewell blondie I had in the cafe


Day outfit of Joe Browns dress and a knit top 


The pool for the last time! It was funny because the roof leaked when it was rainy so there were cold drips coming into the middle of the water!


Made up face getting ready to go out in the evening


Pani puri for starter


And paneer delight for my main course. There was more than this and I ate it all


The coconut shot I drank


Peach Simply Be dress when we got back 


Veggie breakfast in Tesco the next morning


And finally here's all the books I bought. The top two were from Tesco and the bottom six were from charity shops throughout the week and cost less than a fiver in total! 


No comments:

Post a Comment