Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Lunch in Mytholmroyd with Nathaniel

On the 14th of March I went to Mytholmroyd to see my friend Nathaniel. He lives over in Preston and we've been friends since 2006, but have only met in person a few times. And not for years! But we had been emailing back and forth and decided to meet up, and decided that Mytholmroyd was basically in the middle between us. There's a lovely little vegetarian cafe called The Blue Teapot that I booked us into. I set off in plenty of time and listened to some lovely music on my drive. The M62 was clear and I went some places around Halifax that I haven't been before. 

I go to the cafe at just about ten to twelve and met Nathaniel outside. Our table was ready just about twelve for us. There are literally only about ten tables inside so if you do go be sure to book because otherwise you might not be able to get in! As it's all veggie I had a hard time choosing but decided to go for Welsh rarebit. It came with salad and coleslaw and was absolutely delicious! I had two decaf cappucinos too which were also really good. 

We sat chatting for ages and then I bought cake to take away for Lee and I later. I got an Easter slice and a chocolate orange brownie, and we shared half each. They were both lovely. 

Nathaniel and I went for a little walk. I obviously know that Ted Hughes was born in Mytholmroyd so I googled and it was just round the corner. It was over the canal and up a hill but it was a nice walk, so we looked at that. It's got a blue plaque and you can also rent it out as a holiday let which would be amazing! Then we walked up the road to where there's a clog factory. Really cool to see but we didn't buy any. They're all handmade there though which is nice. We walked down past the canal and under a couple of bridges before coming back up on to the main road and then over the river bridge where we looked at some art and a very cute map. 

We walked back to the car park and said goodbye because by this time it was about 2.30 and I didn't want to be late back and get stuck in traffic. We took a photo of us and then I drove back listening to the Dropkick Murphys who I haven't listened to in ages! It was a really lovely day and I was so glad to see Nathaniel again.

When I got back I had a nap because I was absolutely exhausted; it had been a busy week. I was wearing my Wednesday t shirt and a skirt that used to be a dress, and grey footless tights. Oh and my DM boots, as usual! 


Here my Welsh rarebit with a delicious chutney


On the bridge over the canal


Ted Hughes' childhood home


The clog factory


Looking the other way along the canal


We walked along, this was the bridge we had just come from 


We walked under this bridge which was really low, even for me


Ducks! There were some Canada geese too and they all wanted us to feed them


I love it when daffodils are out and these were lovely


We walked over the footbridge over the river Calder, this is the vehicle bridge


This modern art was at the other side


Weird but I quite liked it


A map made by locals, some of the annotations really made us laugh


Another part of the river


And here we are just before we said goodbye!

No comments:

Post a Comment