Monday, July 17, 2023

Trip to Edinburgh - Day 3

On the Tuesday of our trip to Edinburgh it was BRUCE DAY but of course first of all we had the whole day, so we decided to go to the seaside. We drove through Leith and then ended up at Portobello beach. My friends Sam and Jodie happened to be there too! They also had tickets for Bruce and they had got a bus to Portobello. My mum and Lee and I walked on the beach and my mum and I paddled. Meanwhile Sam and Jodie walked up to where we were so we all said hello and then we all went in the amusement arcade. I played on 2p machines for ages and then played Lee on Mario Kart but sadly he won both times (boo!)

Sam and Jodie said goodbye as they were heading back into town and the rest of us had lunch on the seafront. It was really lovely, really nice and sunny and the food was lovely. We then drove over the Forth bridge which was cool, and back again, and then stopped in Queensferry nearly under the original Forth bridge (where the train still goes) to look at it. I then found us a cafe just in the village. We parked and walked to it - it is apparently the best place for ice cream in Edinburgh! I had raspberry sherbet sorbet and iced caramel latte, both of which were really nice! We bought some souvenirs too including some shortbread for our neighbour as she had been feeding the cats while we were away.

We got back to the flat around 4.30pm; I wanted to sit for a bit and charge my phone before my mum and I went out to Bruce. We knew Bruce was coming on at 7pm so we knew that we needed to be there quite early. My phone is totally rubbish with keeping charge these days, too. Plus it was nice to relax. Then Lee took us to Murrayfield. We had to walk a little bit but not too far, and we got in easily. We decided we wanted a t shirt each so we joined two queues at the merch stall. She got there first - we went for the same t-shirt in the end!

We considered having something to eat but we had had such a big lunch and then ice cream so we weren't really hungry. We found our seats instead and then played I Spy with Sam and Jodie who were down on the rear floor area. We could see them and waved! 

Then Bruce! He was SO good! My mum and I saw him before back in 2012, in Manchester, and it was absolutely brilliant then too. He plays for three hours and he just doesn't stop, it's so good to see even if you don't know all the songs. Steve Van Zandt is always good to see too. The whole band is really tight and the sound was so good. Highlights for me were Badlands and Thunder Road. It is expensive but we had such a good time and I'm really pleased we were able to go and that I could do this with my mum! I'm very lucky to have her. 

Bruce played an acoustic song last in memory of his manager, which was a really lovely way for it to end. We had to wait a little bit to get out of the seating area, but otherwise it wasn't too bad. I bought some donuts and we walked to the edge of where the surrounding roads were closed and then ordered a taxi. We had to wait maybe fifteen minutes for it, but it wasn't too bad as it wasn't raining or cold and we found a wall to sit on. The traffic going away from the city centre was fine so we got back to the flat in good time. We were late getting to bed but I had had such a good time.





Portobello beach - I was surprised how many people were there for a random Tuesday (it didn't appear to be half term in Scotland or at least not for all kids, we saw lots of kids in school)


My mum paddling


And me. I had rolled my footless tights up to my knees! It was freezing!


But very very beautiful


Selfie of myself in the amusement arcade


More of the beach while I was sitting waiting for lunch


I do appreciate that you can buy Irn Bru anywhere in Scotland. I don't drink caffeine a lot but I couldn't resist


You can just glimpse the old Forth bridge through the railings of the new one


And this was where the ferry used to leave from, and the old bridge in the background


Isn't it beautiful?


These are the other two - the one for cars and one that is just for buses and taxis


Queensferry is very cute


And so were these old signs in the ice cream parlour


Lee had this


And this was mine


See, I told you


I took this out of the car window just before we drove under the bridge


Look at the old bell pulls on the tenement we were staying in


I love them so much!


Heeeere we are! Ready and waiting!


Where's Wally featuring Sam and Jodie


And now here's Bruce!





I took some videos as well


Finally here's me and my mum in our matching t shirts at about half past midnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment