Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Craft Workshop with My Mum

Last year I went to a craft class held in A Touch of Craft which is in Ossett near Wakefield. In fact I went to three different classes there last year, but the one in particular I'm talking about was run by Christine at The Glass Shed and in it I made some glass bunting. We learnt how to cut the glass, surround them with copper foil, and glue them on to cord to make a string of bunting. At the class I learnt that Christine also does classes where you solder glass together and make a shape - you could make elephants and owls and beach huts. I thought my mum would like to make the elephant one so I bought her a voucher for Christmas. She asked me to go along with her and I agreed. 

We had a bit of trouble coordinating with the teacher which was honestly quite frustrating, but we got there in the end for the 1st of September. My mum chose to make the elephant and I chose to do some beach huts. We arrived just before 7pm. There were seven of us in total. I was quite used to cutting the glass from last time, but I did struggle with the waves as they were curved. My mum had a lot of curves in hers so she did struggle but Christine was on hand to help. I then did some grinding of the glass to get the waves to fit better together and to get the beach huts to fit above the sand properly. That was cute a fun tool to use! My mum used that too. 

Then we had to wrap the pieces of glass in copper foil and burnish them to make sure they were really stuck down. This bit was sort of meditative! Then came the soldering - using the soldering iron and pieces of lead to stick all the pieces of glass together. I didn't love them, because I'm quite scared of hot things like that, but I got used to it. The lead was hard to control but I am please with how my piece came out. I've put it on my attic window above the bunting I made last year, and it looks lovely when the light shines through it.

My mum is very scared of hot things like soldering irons so decided she couldn't do it, so Christine did her piece for her. My mum was pleased about this and did also enjoy the workshop. The elephant looks great!

I head home around 10.15 from my mum's house and very quickly got stuck on the motorway as there was a crash just in front of me. I ended up being stuck there for over thirty minutes as police arrived and then an ambulance. It was fine and I had texted my mum and Lee so they weren't worried about where I was. I finally got home around 11pm. I was wearing this new Topsy Curvy dress. When I went to their 10th Birthday event back in April I won £25 on the raffle, and I had been saving it until there was sometihng I really wanted. I saw this galaxy print dress in August so pre ordered it and it arrived on the 1st of September so I wore it straight away!

They have changed their dresses so you can wear them either way round with either the lower scoop at the front or the back. I had it at the front and I think it's lovely and suits my body shape. They have also lowered the waists and I think that is a big improvement too! I am going to be wearing this dress all over the place!


My pattern and the glass I had chosen


My mum starting to cut


Me when all my pieces were cut


I love the sign they have in A Touch of Craft - it's a really good space and I love what they're doing with it!


My mum on the grinder


My piece after I had applied the copper foil


And my piece post soldering! It's so weird how the solder sticks to the copper foil


My mum's piece after soldering


And finally this gorgeous new dress!


No comments:

Post a Comment