Thursday, October 8, 2026

Spa Weekend With Lee

At the end of August Lee and I went away for a spa weekend. We had had to change the date from earlier in the month so it meant we had a run of really busy weekends, but it was fine. We had been talking earlier in the summer about doing a spa weekend so Lee had looked online. I think he found it on spabreaks.com eventually. We paid just over £350 for the weekend which was good value!

We  went to Shrigley Hall near Macclesfield. I have been there before, with my friend Sarah, way back in like 2017 or 2018. It was a bit hilarious actually because we were quite drunk by the time we got int othe spa as our room wasn't ready and they kept giving us free prosecco to mollify us. We didn't have long in the spa and while we enjoyed the food, we kept on drinking and it got ridiculous. We stopped in Glossop on the way back on the Sunday for breakfast and got stuck in a Remembrance Day parade which was just so funny. So I have been but maybe don't have the best memories of the place. But I was willing to try again! They have extended the spa since I went, too, and there's an outdoor hot pool and more to do. 

We headed off on the Friday afternoon. I think we went to Holme Coffee House in Penistone for brunch before we left. It is only just over an hour from our house and we got there about 1pm. We couldn't check into the hotel so we left the luggage in the foyer and walked round to the spa. We were a bit early for that, too, as the spa access starts at 1.30pm. We got a drink in the cafe attached to the spa. 

At 1.30 we went and got changed in the locker rooms and then went out to the indoor spa area. It's set in what was the chapel of the old hall and it's absolutely beautiful. The pool in there is nice to swim in and it gets pretty deep too. One of the hot tubs and one of the hot rooms were out of commission, but it was fine. There's another hot tub in the chapel area and some loungers. We swam for a bit before we headed outside.

The outside pool is SO hot and has jets in different areas, so that was really good. We had a drink and at 4pm we each went for a treatment as the weekend included treatments. I went for a hot stone massage which I LOVE, I would get them a lot if I could. The masseuse was really good, I really liked her. I can't remember what treatment Lee had but he liked the massaging on his back. He often suffers from sciatica so this really helped.

The spa access finished at 5.30 so we went back into the hotel foyer and got checked in. The room was small but fine, and the bathroom was pretty big. We ate some snacks and got showered and then headed down to the restaurant for 7.30. We had a £30 food allowance each and the food we had fitted into that. I had mushroom soup and then vegetarian lasagne, which were both delicious. I had a tequila sunrise which wasn't too expensive especially for a hotel. We decided to not get pudding, so we walked into the bar and sat there for an hour or two. I had another drink and we just watched the world go by. 

The hotel has a lot of weddings so there were people around, but it wasn't too noisy. In our room we could hear one of the weddings but it finished at midnight so that wasn't too bad. Hilariously they finished off with The Killers and then I've Had the Time of My Life, I was laughing!

We got up in the morning and went down for breakfast. There was a lot of choice but not tons of veggie choice. But I had enough to eat anyway and it was good. Then we had a few hours spare and we had considered going into Macclesfield or something, but we decided to just stay in the hotel. We sat in the bar area again. I was cross stitching and reading and Lee was playing on his Steamdeck thing. It was nice to just relax!

We went back to the spa at 1.30 again and did basically the same things again. We had treatments again; this time I had a facial with the same therapist and she was again excellent. We went into the cafe and had a drink and cake. The staff were all really lovely which really added to the nice time. 

We left the spa again at 5.30 and went back to the room for showers etc. Then we had booked a table at an Indian restaurant in a village nearby. We got there a bit early and it was quite a strange set up. We sat in the foyer and were given menus, and then we had to order our food before we were shown to a table. It was odd! We had poppadums and they were a bit odd too. The food was nice enough but not amazing. It was really busy though! 

We were done early so we went back to the hotel and sat in the bar again until bedtime. In the morning we had breakfast again before setting off back home. We got home before midday so had the rest of the time to relax! It was definitely a good value weekend and very relaxing and enjoyable. 


In the old chapel area on Friday afternoon - this is a cold water pool and nice to swim in


The outdoor pool which was SO warm and had a bunch of seats and jets, it was so lovely


Inside my treatment room before my hot stones massage


Looking from the other side of the inside pool. This little area was cool but fun to sit in. The hot tub was at the far end here and was lovely


Lee and I in the restaurant later in the evening, proving that we do go away together occasionally


Mushroom soup, which we both had


Me and my tequila sunrise 


Veggie lasagne which was really nice


I was wearing this dress which I got off Chloe recently


I started this book which I had had recommended and which I'd been waiting for from the library. It was really good, I would recommend it


In the bar of the hotel on Saturday morning when we were just sitting and chilling


The picture does not accurately portray just how gold the lift walls were


The view would have been better in better weather, but we could see Old Trafford


The peacock was trying to get into the cafe on Saturday, and eventually it did and was ushered out


Cake on Saturday afternoon


Selfie as we were sitting outside


And then Lee and I in the outdoor hot tub


Lee took this photo of me as we were eating cake. I like the halo I appear to have!



And finally the outdoor pool as we left it at 5.30pm!

No comments:

Post a Comment