Sunday, September 22, 2024

Trip to Hardwick Hall

On Friday the 9th of August I went to Hardwick Hall in Derbyshire to see my friend Jane. It's a while since we met up but as she works in a school she is off during the holidays so she suggested going to the hall. I've never been before but it's only about an hour's drive from my house so I agreed. We met there about 11.45 (there was some traffic on the motorway) and went into the hall. 

The new hall is huge and has a bunch of old tapestries which are shown in two big halls. There's a ton of steps up but they weren't too bad, and it was worth it because the tapestries were really amazing to see. Bess of Hardwick Hall - a friend of Elizabeth I - bought them from somewhere else and they were really interesting and well laid out. The hall is fab, really worth a look. I didn't know much about her so I learnt a lot about her, too. After the main hall we walked across to the old hall, which is just ruins now, and had a little look round there. It wasn't too interesting, but I'm glad we saw it. 

We had both taken a packed lunch so we found a bench to sit on in the garden to eat. We were chatting loads of course, as always. It was so nice to see her. We went into the gift shop next, and then had a hot drink in the cafe. It was really busy! We then had an ice cream, sitting again in the sunshine. I had chocolate and mint choc chip. We looked in the tiny bookshop just before it closed, and then we said goodbye. 

I headed towards Meadowhall then because my friend Tukru was coming to stay and they were coming via Megabus into Meadowhall. They were caught in traffic so I went to Costa nearby for a  bit and read my book until they arrived! 

I was wearing my rainbow tartan dress from Topsy Curvy, and new Snag capri tights which are in a colour called 'Guava' which is totally gorgeous. I had also painted my nails - they were both Christmas polishes actually but I liked the colour and the glitter on top, so why not! 


Hardwick Hall as you wallk up the lawn towards it. It is stunning to look at


One of the tapestries which depicts Penelope


A really beautiful inlay table


This portrait of Queen Elizabeth I is like really old and really important. It's about six feet tall and really stunning


This portrait of Bess of Hardwick is posed next to the one of Elizabeth


These tapestries depict Gideon from the Bible


This is the long hall, full of tapestries, which is the longest Tudor hall still remaining, or something


This was our view from where we ate lunch which was also beautiful


Purplish and glitter nail polishes


Guava capris and my all black Converse


Ice cream! It was nice


Here's Jane and me just before we said goodbye


The drive round Hardwick Hall is one way and really scenic on both the way in and the way out, but kind of slow. I got stuck behind a tractor and took this photo of sheep just hanging out on the road


And here I am in my rainbow tartan dress when I got home

No comments:

Post a Comment