Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Books of the Month - October and November

I didn't manage to get this post written in November as I was busy doing Nanowrimo (which I won!) so I thought I'd combine October and November and put all of the books in one. I don't feel like I've read much recently, and not really much I've loved, either. Oh well, I can't always win!


A Place of Execution by Val McDermid
I've never read anything by this author before and Janet said this was one of her favourite books. I did really like it and its setting. It is genuinely creepy.


Remix by Non Pratt
This promised to be amazing but didn't really deliver. My in depth review is here


The News from Paraguay by Lily Tuck
This was a book club book and it draaaaagged so much. It wasn't bad, but it was slow and quite confusing. Everyone in the book club agreed that it was an odd book.


We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
This was for Sunny Sweet Pea's online book club and I'm so glad I read it. I really loved it! My in depth review is here.


If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo
This is a YA story about a trans girl, written by a trans woman, and as I'm a big believer in #ownvoices, I had high expectations for this. It lived up to them! It's great. My review is here.


Seed by Lisa Heathfield
Both of Lisa's books have absolutely killed me. They are so good. This is a story about a cult and a girl who lives in one. It's really good. My review is here.


Ballroom by Anna Hope
This was yet another book club book but GOD it was so good. It's set in a mental asylum and a man and a woman meet once a week in the ballroom for a dance there. It is beautiful and interesting, we all liked it at my book club. 


Beautiful Broken Things by Sara Barnard.
This is a YA novel about three girls in Brighton. I felt it had its problems. My in depth review is here.


Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill
This is a hell of a book. Like, read it if it appeals but take care of yourself cos it's really difficult to read. My review is here but like I say, there's lots of trigger warnings so be careful.


Cowgirl by G R Gemin
This is a really cute middle grade book set in a working class community in Wales. I liked it. My in depth review is here 


Mothering Sunday by Graham Swift
This is my book club book again and while it wasn't something I'd have ever picked up I thought it was crafted really well. All the action takes place in just a few hours on Mother's Day in 1924, but the novella is so much bigger than that. I'd definitely recommend it!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you liked A Place Of Execution! I also found Only Ever Yours a tough read but I really enjoyed it, however I'm not going to read Asking For It because I know I will find it too triggering.

    ReplyDelete