Saturday, August 5, 2023

Bead Making Workshop in Sheffield

As I said, my aunt was staying with us in the middle of June because she and I were doing a workshop together in Sheffield. She had bought me a voucher for my birthday to do a glass bead making workshop, with the bargain that I would take her with me as the other person. It sounded like fun so we booked it for mid June. We had some brunch with Lee before setting off to Sheffield. The workshop was in Julia's own workshop in the Artspace near the Showroom cinema so she let us in. She did a demo of how to melt the glass and then shape it into a bead, and then she basically let us do it! 

It was slightly terrifying with the big flame, but I soon got into it and didn't even think about that. I did touch the tiniest bit of hot glass but that was the worst injury either of us had. I'm trying hard to not be a perfectionist about craft - or anything, really - because you can't be brilliant at everything straight away, so I tried to not worry that some of my beads weren't round or perfectly shaped. Julia showed us how to use gold flakes and gold lustre to add to beads, and also how to add dots and make swirls. We both agreed it was quite meditative and we got into the zone of it. The workshop was for three hours and Julia said we had made loads of beads between us. We had to leave them there as they need firing in a kiln, so I hope they arrive all safe and sound soon!

After the workshop we headed to London Road. I had won a giveaway that someone I know had organised and she lives in Sheffield so we went to the pub for a drink and for her to hand over my winnings. It's a bootleg Libertines vinyl and it's pretty cool to own! It was nice to see Sarah and chat with her for a bit. Then Caroline and I walked up to Saigon 68 to have some tea.

I went for salt and pepper bean curd and then veggie chicken in satay sauce with rice. Caroline was keen to try it as we've talked about it a lot. She had veggie spring rolls and beef noodle soup. It was lovely! However by the time we came out it was absolutely bouncing it down and we got really wet walking back to the car. Sodden! I was freezing when we got home so I got into my pyjamas. Lee had gone to a gig that some friends of his were playing, so Caroline and I watched some TV until he got home. 

I was wearing this Sprinkle of Glitter dress that I absolutely love, I am always so glad when the weather is nice enough to wear it. I love the colours of it. I was wearing my short leggings underneath. 


Brunch before we went out


Poppy taking up half of the living room floor


My Sprinkle of Glitter dress - I will be so sad if I ever have to get rid of this dress!


All the colours of glass that you could imagine!


This is the burner you use


Julia teaching Caroline how to do something


These are Caroline's beads - she did way better on getting the beads round than I did, and I like how she kept to a colour palette too


These are mine - they're really not that round! I did get a few a really nice tear drop shape though. I will probably make them into some jewellery for myself


Salt and pepper bean curd


Veggie "chicken" satay - it was so nice and not too spicy


And finally in the car absolutely soaked!


No comments:

Post a Comment