Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Funeral Chic

Tuesday the 21st of February was my grandma's funeral, almost four whole weeks since the day she died. I don't know why funerals take so long these days, because it really prolongs the agony for everyone and is just really annoying. However, the day finally came. We had a short committal service at the crematorium and then a service of Thanksgiving at the church I work for, where my grandma had attended with my mum and stepdad over the past ten years. We then had the funeral tea at the church straight after which people said was good as it meant we didn't have to go elsewhere. 

I wanted to speak at the funeral, and ended up writing and delivering the whole eulogy! I'm not entirely sure that I volunteered for all of that! I was quite anxious about it but it went well and I managed to keep it together. The hymns and readings were nice. As the ending music we had chosen Aled Jones singing How Great Thou Art and as it happened, everyone stayed in the nave singing along to it. It was a really thing that we hadn't intended but which just happened! 

We left the church after the buffet around 2.30pm and then my mum, Lee, my cousin and I went to my dad's grave as Lee wanted to. We took some of the flowers from my grandma's coffin to put on my dad's grave so that he can have them for a while. We had also had primroses - my grandma's favourite flower - in the church for people to take home, so I've got a few of those. We went back to my mum's and sorted through some of my grandma's jewellery with my cousins and their wives. I've inherited a really beautiful sapphire ring which I need to get made smaller. 

Neil made pancakes for everyone for tea as it was Shrove Tuesday. It was nice for us all to be together after the funeral. I think my grandma would have liked it, I think we did her okay. 

I was wearing this burgundy Scarlett and Jo dress that I've had for ages but don't wear too often. I don't have a plain black dress so thought this was fine. It has sheer sleeves but as it wasn't too warm I put on my Yours shrug and ended up keeping that on all day. I wore footless Snag tights underneath and my DM boots. I took this photo just before we left the house, so my hair was still wet so that's why it looks odd!

No comments:

Post a Comment