Sunday, May 24, 2020

Films of the Month - April

I watched fifteen films in April, so lockdown didn't really affect my film watching one way or the other! There was lots of good TV to watch so I think I did that instead! Here's what I watched:



Lee and I watched This Is Spinal Tap together. It's so stupid but so funny, I love it. 


I decided to watch all three Bridget Jones films in April. I'd seen the first one way back when it first came out but had never seen the other two. I like the first one but don't feel like t has dated very well. It feels very early noughties now. 


Netflix recommended Ladies in Black to me so I took a chance. I liked it. It's about women working in a department store in Sydney in the late 1950s. I liked it, it was quite sweet and it looked really good.


I haven't seen Paddington 2 since I saw it in the cinema when it came out, so I wanted to rewatch it. It's so sweet, I think it's my favourite of the two.


Someone on Twitter recommend the documentary about the Fyre festival and I'm passing that on - watch it now. It's BONKERS. I had heard of the festival that never happened, of course, but I hadn't realised just how bad it was. Watch it!


We made it most of the way through The Godfather Part II before I got bored and asked it to stop. I don't connect with the story of young Vito Corleone at all, and I don't like Michael when he's just being irredeemably bad. The reason I love the first film so much is because of Michael's inner conflict - the tug he feels between the family duties and being a good person. I love that, and it's lacking in this film. Sorry. 


I have been so excited about the Miss Fisher film coming out as I love the TV series so much. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. It's set in Egypt, and there's no Dotty or Hugh in it, which I felt was lacking a lot. I did quite like it, but the TV show is better.

Next I watched Jacques Peretti's documentary called The Real Michael Jackson. I have of course seen the documentary with Wade Robson and James Safechuck, and I utterly believe them. I refuse to watch any of the stuff which calls them liars, but I did think that this, by a fan of Jackson's, was interesting. Peretti has made several documentaries about Michael Jackson and has to deal with his own pain and what part he might have played. I felt it was a fair documentary. Believe survivors always, though, yeah. 


Some pals and I did a Netflix Party of Lady Bird, which I have seen before but only once. I love it - I was 18 in 2002 so pretty much the same age as Lady Bird, so I deeply feel everything that she does. I love this film.


I decided to rewatch Blinded By the Light, which I saw in the cinema last year. I really like it, but maybe that's because I'm such a big Springsteen fan? It's so cute and feel good, and it sounds and looks great. 

Next I watched the second Bridget Jones film. It's terrible. Enough said!


I was reminded that I've never seen Mortal Engines, even though I liked the book. I liked the film, I thought it had the right look of the book and I liked the characters. Hester isn't as scarred as she is in the book, which I thought was a shame, but otherwise I liked it. 


I watched the final Bridget Jones film, I think it's the strongest of the three actually. I liked it a lot. I do really like Patrick Dempsey though!


I noticed I, Tonya was on Netflix and I've been meaning to get round to it for ages. I LOVED it. It's so good! I love Margot Robbie and Seb Stan so it was great for me. Plus it's a really interesting story, and I liked the fake documentary feel it had. Watch it if you haven't!


Finally, Sam and I watched Margarita With A Straw while chatting on hangouts, which was nice. It's really good, I would recommend it. Very sweet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment