Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Films of the Month - June

I did slightly better with films in June than I had in May, and watched eight films in the month, which was an improvement on the four films I watched in May. Here's what I saw:


I watched Love and Mercy, which is the biopic about Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys, starring Paul Dano as the young Wilson and John Cusack as the older one. Both were brilliant, I really liked the film and would recommend it even if you're not a huge Beach Boys fan (I'm not!)


(Sorry for the French poster!)

I watched Portrait of a Lady on Fire because I've been meaning to for ages. I really really liked it. I generally don't like films with subtitles as I find them hard to follow, but I was cross-stitching at the same time and I think the fact that I'm good at French helped. I would definitely recommend this if you haven't seen it


Lee wanted to watch Office Space so we did. I fell asleep in the middle part though, but from what I saw I liked it. Lee's seen it before but I never have. 


I watched London Town, which is about a teenager who gets into The Clash. It's okay - Jonathan Rhys Meyers was miscast as Joe Strummer in my opinion (I'm a big fan of The Clash) but it's a cute enough film


Next I watched Ammonite, which is Francis Lee's second film (he also did God's Own Country, which is one of my favourite films ever) and which is similar to Portrait of a Lady on Fire. It's good, Kate and Saoirse and both really good. I'd been rewatching Gentleman Jack too, so it was a good month for queer ladies!


Lee and I watched Finding Nemo together, it's one of our favourite films and we saw it in the cinema way back when it came out. I love it!


I had The Awakening of Motti Wolkenbruch on my Netflix list - I think it was recommended after I'd watched Orthodox, which was brilliant. This is less harrowing, it's quite tongue in cheek, but also a bit weird. It was okay but I wouldn't rush to watch it again


Lastly I watched The Impossible, which is about a family caught up in the Boxing Day Tsunami in 2004. Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor were good, and baby Tom Holland was adorable and good. I liked it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment