Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Films of the Month - July

I watched loads of films in July, bringing my total for the year to just under one hundred! I was still watching a ton of films with my friend Sam, and she and I watched a couple of films with our friend Jac too. It was nice to see so many films and I really liked a lot of them. Here we go:


Sam and Jac and I watched Legend, where Tom Hardy plays both Kray twins. It's pretty fun, I like it a lot and have seen it a couple of times. Tom is great


I like the Inbetweeners TV show because it's SO stupid. The viewer is always supposed to laugh at all of them, at all times. So I wanted to see the film at some point too. It's okay. I liked Greg Davies' cameo at the end


Sam and I watched T2: Trainspotting, as I'd been meaning to rewatch it and she said she would. It's not as good as the first one, but it is hilarious and fun. I love Johnny Lee Miller so much


Good Vibrations is an excellent film about the record company in Northern Ireland that eventually signed The Undertones, among others. I like the film, I've seen it a couple of times and I think it's decent


I love The Italian Job, it's one of my comfort films although I hadn't seen it in a while. I watched it on a rainy afternoon, as it should be watched 


Straight after The Italian Job I watched Mamma Mia as it was new on Netflix. I've seen it before but not for ages. It's so much fun 


Sam and Jac and I watched The Internship together, it's a ridiculous film but it's got Dylan O'Brien in who we all love (we were big Teen Wolf fans back in the day). I don't love this, but it is fun


Sam and I watched American History X one Monday. It's one of her favourite films; I hadn't seen it in forever but I do love Ed Norton. It's great if you haven't seen it. Really amazing and hard hitting


Straight after that we watched Almost Famous, which we both also love. It was a pick-me-up after the depressingness of American History X. I haven't seen it in forever and thoroughly enjoyed it as always. Kate Hudson is great


I watched Dolly Parton: Here I Am on Netflix. It's SO GOOD. I love Dolly, and this is a really interesting documentary about her whole life and career. I would highly recommend it


Can you believe I've never seen Erin Brokovich? I've always meant to get to it, but never have. I LOVED it. Julia Roberts is great and it is so interesting all the way through


This is a sequel of sorts to The Commitments, which is one of my favourite films ever. It's good, it's loopy and Irish and I thought it was funny. I need to watch the third one, The Snapper, soon


This is a film about the HIV/Aids crisis in San Francisco, the people affected, and those who loved them and nursed them. It's really interesting, and obviously very sad. I would recommend it


Sam and I watched Slumdog Millionaire together as she's been having a bit of a Dev Patel thing (I mean who hasn't?). I don't think I've seen it since I saw it in the cinema way back when it came out, so I had forgotten a lot of the story. It's really good


I did not mean to watch this film, but I did, and it was a bit action and a bit ridiculous, and it passed some time, so that's all I needed really


Sam and I watched Hotel Mumbai together, still on the Dev Patel thing. I haven't seen it before and I liked it 


I had seen Disclosure: Trans Lives on Screen recommended on Twitter. It features a ton of trans people talking about how trans people have been depicted on screen and what is good and bad about the various depictions. I LOVED it, it's so interesting and really made me think about how we tell the stories of marginalised people. Definitely watch it if you're LGBTQ+ or any kind of ally. Plus it made me want to watch Pose, so I started that on the BBC


So it's a bit weird how I ended up watching Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. I had been after some books setting in the deep South of America, and someone recommended this. I found the film, instead, and planned to watch it. Then it turned up in Disclosure because of a trans character within, so I thought, oh I'll start it. However, I didn't realise it had Kevin Spacey in it (I don't like him as he assaulted Anthony Rapp, who was at the time underage) when I started. But, it also had John Cusack, who I love. So I stuck with it. I did like it, it's very much the Southern aesthetic I was hoping for. I'd appreciate other recommendations in this vein!


Sam and Jac and I watched Private Romeo together. It's set in a military academy where several boys are reenacting Romeo & Juliet, and the lead actors fall in love. It's very sweet and also kind of hilarious. 


Lastly, Lee and I watched Captain Marvel together, which we haven't seen since we saw it at the cinema, and which I LOVE. Brie Larson is amazing and I reallllllyyyyy hope there's a sequel one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment