Saturday, July 3, 2021

Party for My Mum End of May

As I said, my mum retired on her birthday at the end of May, and we wanted to celebrate. My aunt and uncle were able to come up because of the lifting of lockdown, so I got thinking about what to do for the (very small) party. My mum was sixty-three, but we thought maybe she'd prefer to be 21 and again and again, instead! So my aunt and I talked about it and decided to do a lunch buffet with foods from 1958, 1979, and 2000, and the same for tea. We googled a lot and settled on a few things, and split it between us for cooking. 

I also prepared a playlist and a quiz for us to do. I ordered some cupcakes (which were from 2000, apparently) from a lady in my village who's done them for me before and they're always delicious. We arrived at my mum's about noon and started preparing the buffet lunch. I'll show you the pictures:


We had Mateus rose, Hock, crisps, hummus (I decided some vegetarians were definitely eating hummus in 1979), vol au vents (I love a vol au vent! I don't know why they're out of fashion now!), sausages and cheese and onions on sticks with veggie sausages for Lee and I, beef paste sandwiches, salmon paste sandwiches, and tuna paste sandwiches. Oh, and egg sandwiches for me. Everyone really enjoyed the buffet and my aunt said it reminded her of her birthday teas from the 70s. 


A better view - all the flowers were retirement presents from my mum's work and so on


Cupcakes! Aren't they so gorgeous?


I had a rose one

We did the quiz and enjoyed the music while sitting outside in the sinshine, which was lovely. I definitely caught the sun, but I'm in desperate need of Vitamin D. 

For tea we made spaghetti bolognese followed by Black Forest gateau. Lee and I had veggie bolognese of course, and we cooked some garlic bread too. My mum really enjoyed it, which was good. After that we played a game before it was time to go! My mum had had a really good day and enjoyed the theme of it. 

I put just a tiny bit of make up on in the morning, including one of my Body Shop lip juicers on my lips, which I think is a lovely colour and it smells so good (it's the strawberry one). I was wearing my flamingo skirt with a top that I haven't worn before. I got it last year I think, maybe from Crazy Clearance. It's very soft and I thought it matched with the skirt. It wasn't too dressed up but neither was my mum when we got there, so that was okay. 

Oh, we also swapped Christmas presents with my aunt and uncle as of course we couldn't see them at Christmas. I got some gin liqueur! 


My face!


My outfit 


And finally here's my stepdad with my umbrella - to be fair he was holding it so the sun wasn't on my grandma, as she was asleep, but it did mean the sun wasn't on his head either!

No comments:

Post a Comment