Friday, September 15, 2023

Miss Saigon in Sheffield

At the end of July I went to see Miss Saigon in Sheffield, at the Crucible. I had asked around but no one wanted to see it with me, so I decided I would go by myself. I bought a ticket for the relaxed performance which was on a Wednesday afternoon. The ticket was only fifteen pounds which was a total bargain! I wasn't quite sure what the relaxed performance would consist of, but I thought it would be fine anyway. I headed into Sheffield early and parked underneath Arundel Gate and then went to Marmadukes for lunch. I've been there before when going to the snooker, but only for breakfast. I sat outside on one of the benches. I had a cheese toastie which was fine but a bit overpriced, and two coffees.

I headed in to the theatre and bought a programme and then took my seat. The theatre was quite full but not packed. I thought that the lights might stay up as it was a relaxed performance, but they went down. People did move around more, I think, but that was all, and it didn't detract from my enjoyment. 

I absolutely love Miss Saigon. I think this is my fourth time of seeing it - I saw it in 2018 and in 2014, and I was thrilled to see it again. I was taken to the West End to see it when I was about nine or ten, with my parents, and I've loved it ever since. It is probably my favourite musical of all time. (You can buy my zine about musicals here on Etsy). This showing of it was quite an update to the original for a lot of reasons, but primarily that The Engineer was played by a woman (which adds extra dimensions to her character) and Chris was Black and John was white (they're usually the other way round, and again, this added a lot to their characters). I really enjoyed it and the staging. 

I got home about 5.30pm. I'm really glad I went by myself. I cried on and off from start to finish! 


Here I am sitting outside (the Crucible is behind me) waiting for my lunch


Very cute swan and heart on my cappucino


Cheese toastie


The advertising outside the theatre. The woman on the left is The Engineer! She was brilliant, as was the woman playing Kim


Inside, these TVs were showing different images from the play, which was good


This was the staging. It would have to be slightly different anyway because the Crucible is a theatre in the round and because it has the circle in the middle that moves. They used this to great effect in the part which shows the Fall of Saigon


Here's another of the images from the TVs just as I was leaving

No comments:

Post a Comment