Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Films of the Month - November

I watched twenty one films in November, which was a lot! I was also doing Nanowrimo, which is where you write 50,000 words of a novel in 30 days. It is a BIG undertaking but I won it! I was even ahead of myself - I completed the task on the 26th of November! It's a very very bare bones first draft, but it's written, so I'm proud of myself. I spent a lot of the month writing with friends and sitting in front of my computer, so I watched a lot of films. Here's what I saw: 


I was still in Halloween mode at the beginning of the month, so I watched Hubie Halloween on Netflix. I'm not usualyl a huge fan of Adam Sandler (although I LOVE The Wedding Singer) but I liked this


And later that day Lee and I watched the Addams Family Values as we had watched the other one a few weeks previously


I watched The Holidate on Netflix and honestly, I've read the slating it's got and I don't think it was as bad as all that. I liked the main characters and thought it was cute enough


A friend had been recommending The Boy Band Con: The Lou Pearlman Story, which is about how Lou Pearlman ripped off Nsync and the Backstreet Boys, among others. It's really interesting about how the record industry can work. I'd recommend it


Lee and I watched the 2016 Ghostbusters which is of course the best one


I watched Music and Lyrics because I'd seen someone recommend it. I liked it, Hugh Grant is at his best here 


Lee and I watched Hot Fuzz together which I really like


I watched The Holiday because I was beginning to feel a bit festive (as I think a lot of people were, because 2020 is a shitshow and you may as well do what you like). I love the film, it's one of my favourite romcoms and everyone in it is great. I dont't usually like Jude Law but even he will do too


I watched Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey on Netflix and would HIGHLY recommend it. It's a fun musical with a ton of steam punk elements, and Forest Whittaker is great 


Lee and I watched Friday the 13th, which I've never seen. I'm a total wuss when it comes to horror, but this was a good slasher film


I love Melissa McCarthy so I watched Life of the Party on Netflix. Its fun and funny, it was cute


Okay so I'm sure you saw all the controversy about Cuties when it came out earlier this year. I read it, but probably wouldn't have ever watched the film had I not read a post from a blogger I follow. She and I have wildly different political views, but I respect her opinion and where she's coming from. She had a very measured view of Cuties that was enough to pique my interest, so I watched it. And I have to say, I really liked it. It's about that difficult stage of being a tween, when you want to be grown and you're copying the actions of those older than you. There's very little of the dancing that caused so much controversy, and what there is is excellent. At each point, we're seeing the world from the point of view of the kids, so there's definitely parts where adults or even older kids are totally in the wrong. I recommend seeing it for yourself and seeing what you think


I watched the sequel to the Princess Switch, Switched Again, but didn't think it was that great. There was a lot of flim flam I felt


Lee and I watched Zodiac, about the Zodiac Killer. It's a long film but worth sticking with. It's really interesting to read about how they made the film 


I watched Dolly Parton's Christmas on the Square and thought it was ADORABLE. Highly recommended for your festive viewing 


Sam and Jac and I watched Destination Wedding together. Sam suggested it. I like Winona and Keanu, and the film is pretty cute. They're the only people who speak in the whole film and it's quite intense and also quite hilarious


I love The Craft, so was interested to see the reboot, The Craft: Legacy. There are a lot of similarities but it has been updated brilliantly. The girl playing Lily was so good, and David Duchovny was too. If you like the original you'll like this


Netflix kept recommending The Christmas Chronicles 2 to me and I thought well fine, but I'd better watch the first one first. I liked it, although I found the little girl quite irritating. And I definitley cried at the end


Lee and I are making our way through a list of 80s classic films, most of which I hadn't seen. We started with Beetlejuice, which I have seen and which I really like. Winona is a joy


Next we moved on to The Outsiders, which neither of us had ever seen. I liked it, although I felt it was over long. I'm going to write a zine about the film list


Finally Sam and I watched Spirited Away. We watched My Neighbour Totoro earlier in the year and I think I preferred that to this, although I like No Face a lot

No comments:

Post a Comment