Thursday, January 6, 2022

Chocolate Festival in Sheffield

Towards the end of October Lee and I went to a chocolate festival in Sheffield. I had seen stuff about it on Twitter ages ago and bought us tickets. We had to choose a time entry so I went for 10am - noon. It was held in Kelham Island Museum so Lee dropped me off and then went to park nearby. The queue was huge and I can't stand to queue for long, so I asked about disabled access and was given a seat near the ticket booth and Lee then joined the back of the queue. This wasn't ideal but the queue was moving pretty fast so he got to me quite quickly and we went in. 

Almost no one was wearing a mask which I find annoying; Lee and I did though. The main stalls were in the big space upstairs so we got the lift and went across the bridge to go in. There was lots of stalls, mostly selling chocolate goods - bars of chocolate, cupcakes, brownies, truffles, etc - but a few selling other stuff like jewellery, pottery, candles and wax melts. A few places were giving samples which was great. We bought a few things, some as gifts and some for each of us. I got a cannoli, I've never had one before and was intrigued. 

We had nearly finishedl ooking at all the stalls when I started feeling really faint. My vision starting swimming and I was concerned I would actually faint, so we went back to the doorway and I sat down while Lee went to buy me a drink. Some of the staff called the first aid people so they rushed upstairs. I was hot and bothered, but felt a bit better after some water. I dunno what it was, but I'm grateful to the first aiders for coming to see to me. We skipped the last couple of stalls in the main room, but went into the smaller room to see the rest of the stalls. 

We had finished by about noon so we went to Craft and Dough for something to eat. It's on the Museum complex and I've seen it a bunch of times but never been in. Lee has though, he went with some band members one time. They used to just do pizza but now they have some sides both veggie and omnivore. It's not huge but we got a table. We ordered a margherita pizza to share, and Lee had chicken wings and I had cauliflower wings which were sticky and delicious. I had a peach and jasmine drink which was unusual but really nice, and Lee had orange squash! Unusual in a restaurant but he loves squash so he was happy. 

Afterwards we just came home, but it was a good festival and I would go again. 



In the main hall


Cauliflower wings


Pizza! I'm not usually that fussed for pizza but this was a nice one


Kelham Island Museum


While I was waiting for Lee I took this photo of some old steel works - only this wall remains now, all the building behind has been knocked down


And there was a stencil of Jarvis Cocker on one building - you know you're in Sheffield when there's a picture of Jarv!


Here's what we bought, from bottom left clockwise: truffles, chocolate orange muffin, rose and oud candle/reed diffuser/room spray (I treated myself), an aero caramel shortbread, focaccia that we ate for tea, coffee truggles, orange chocolate, more coffee truffles, and in the middle are my cannoli and salted caramel fudge. Tons!

No comments:

Post a Comment