Saturday, January 22, 2022

Trip to Helmsley - Day 2

On the Saturday of our trip to Helmsley we had made plans to walk around the village, go in all the shops, maybe have a drink in a pub, and then have a takeaway for tea. This was one of the main reasons why we wanted to stay so close to the village centre - so we could walk in and not have to move the cars from in front of the cottage. We were staying on the High Street and it was indeed within walking distance to the market square. 

Lee and I made a cooked breakfast for everyone to start with. Bacon for my mum and stepdad, fake bacon for Lee and me, fried eggs, scrambled eggs, hash browns, beans, mushrooms and toast. It was so nice! Lee did most of it but I did scramble the eggs which were really nice. We finished that around 11.30 and got ready to go out. It wasn't too cold which was good, and it didn't rain on us either. 

There were a few shops just down the road from our cottage, opposite the church, so we went in those, and down as far as the bridge before crossing the bridge. There was a little fair on in the town hall, but not the bigger one that there's been on previous visits to Helmsley. Not to worry! We decided to go and have a drink so we went into Cafe Crema which is one of my favourite cafes in the town. 

Then we went into more shops, including the deli which I really like where we bought some Christmas presents. We went in the book shop and all the rest down that street. We had all noticed a new micro brewery at the bottom of the town, near the bridge we came in on, so we decided to go in for a drink. It's only got a few tables inside so we sat outside. There was a heater near the table and as I say, it wasn't cold, so we were all fine outside. I had a lovely strawberry gin and lemonade, my mum had one of those little bottles of prosecco, and my stepdad had a Helmsley bitter I think. It is a lovely little place and I'm glad we supported it!

We then went into the remaining shops up the right hand side of the square before calling it a day. It was about 4pm and my mum told Lee and I to go into the bakers and buy some cake to have with coffee. However, because it was late on, there wasn't much choice, so we also went into 42nd East Bakehouse on the way back to our cottage. It sells those massive ridiculous cookie cakes that are SO delicious, so we bought a chocolate chip cookie and a cookies and cream massive slice, and went back to the cottage.

I cut all the cakes into four so everyone could have exactly what they wanted. It was so nice! We played a game and did some quizzes, and then about 6.30 we ordered Indian food from a takeaway in the next vilalge along. There is an Indian in Helmsley but it didn't have very good vegetarian choices and the one in Beadlam did. We set off for it about 7.15 but they were so busy that it took nearly half an hour for it to be ready - I'm glad we ordered it early! I had paneer pakora and vegetable korma, both of which were really good and I'm glad I got them. Everyone else enjoyed their food too I think.

After tea we played more games. It was so nice to just chill and not have to go out anywhere. My mum and I shared a bottle of champagne that she bought me for my birthday in January 2021, I thought it would be nice to share it and it was indeed delicious! 


The view of the stream from our bedroom window


And the front of the cottage just as we were leaving, it was so cute


Walking along our street towards town, past the stream


Helmsley Castle - I've never actually been any closer than this to it


The stream goes all the way through the village


I love this little bridge - that's the town hall to the right of it


And I love how the backs of the buildings touch the water. I'm standing on the bridge here


Looking the other way


Strawberry milkshake in Cafe Crema


And a strawberry gin in Helmsley Brewery! I thoroughly recommend it


Lee and I sitting outside


Gin glass bigger than my face. I'm wearing my tie dyed hoodie from Yours Clothing


Walking back up into the village - I'd love one of these houses!


The market square


Ridiculous cakes from 42nd East, they were both delicious


And here I am with my champagne - cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment