Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Book Club Christmas Dinner

I've been a member of a book club in Penistone for the best part of a decade. I like it - I'm the youngest member, but I have some friends there, and it makes me read books that I wouldn't otherwise pick up. (Remember, all my book reviews can be found here, on my book blog). Pre-pandemic we met at Cubley Hall, a nice restaurant and pub, and every year at Christmas we would have a meal there. During lockdowns and until August 2021, we met online. This meant that our ex member Amanda who now lives in Germany could join in too, which was nice. 

In August the group started meeting again at St Aidan's in Oxspring, because it's a bigger and more ventilated room. That's been nice too, I've been a couple of times. We started discussing what we would do for Christmas, and decided to order afternoon tea and have that together in the smaller room in the church. We ordered from The Copper Kettle and it was only £8.50 each, which was nothing. The owners bring everything, set the table with all vintage china, set everything out, and go, then come back later to take everything away. It's no fuss and makes it a bit special. 

There was vegetarian stuff for me, and lots of gorgeous cakes and lovely scones with fresh cream and jam. We all ate enough, and then took leftovers home - everyone had brought a tupperware to do that with. There was enough for Lee and I to have some bits the next day - the cakes were just so nice. 

We did talk a little bit about the book, but it was nice to have a bit of normality in the middle of Covid madness. Maybe this year we'll be back at the pub... let's see I suppose!


When I got home Lee had put the wreath up on the floor. I had bought one for me and one for my mum from a lady on a local Facebook group. They were really lovely; I love the blues and silvers of mine and was happy to see it all over the festive period!  


My lovely vintage china 


Veggie sandwiches and savouries for me on the bottom, tea loaf and parkin in the middle, and cupcakes on the top


Didn't it look lovely all set up for us?

No comments:

Post a Comment